Router Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just bought a CNC and I have tasked myself to learn the software (VCarve).
Something isn't jiving. Can't figure out if it is the software or machine.
Any forum that you suggest I start looking?

Looking forward to learning and hopefully one day sharing pics!

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,358 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Lori!

What exactly isn't jiving? We need a little more detail. Are you able to generate code from VCarve? Which CNC did you get? There will be many more questions but we can start there.

David

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum, Lori!

What exactly isn't jiving? We need a little more detail. Are you able to generate code from VCarve? Which CNC did you get? There will be many more questions but we can start there.

David
Thanks!
Have a New wave Pirahna using VCarve V10.

I did some tutorials and created a couple projects. 1st came out fine. Just #'s carved and a profile.
Next I tried a name using a profile and a pocket toolpath. The 1st pass looked fine. The 2nd pass took a sharp turn like it was re-adjusting and then the name was off. The profile then cut left of center an went off the material.

First thought was the vcarve software but all looked okay when previewing.
Second thought maybe we set up the pendant improperly. Like home wasn't correct or I missed something.
Third thought after looking through the CNC forum is that maybe it is the Post Processor. I must have missed that section on what that even meant. I just took the default when saving.

I have updated the post processor and will test if that is the case later today after work.
Thanks for your input.

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,358 Posts
If the 2nd pass took off in a wrong direction while it was cutting then you've lost steps. If it was at the beginning of the 2nd cut then maybe you changed the XY zero location between cuts.

If there isn't a specific Post Processor for the Piranha the choose a generic G-code and see how that does. Set your Z zero about an inch above your work piece and start the 'cut' to see if it looks right. About one time in 20 I cut air to make sure I'm not going to hit clamps, screws, to make certain the file fits on the work piece properly, etc.

David

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am using v-carve on my shapeoko with good results. go to u-tube and spend some hours watching Mark Lindsey's series v-carve for absolute beginners. I watched alot of it before I bought the vectric and still watch a lot when I need answers. v-carve has excellent videos also and a forum.

·
Registered
477 Posts
mommalolo,
The information that you have received is good info. The best thing has been mentioned is to do a dry run above your work piece. I have at times put a mark where the blade it makes a change of direction has to make a different cut. I like to compare the where it makes turns and changes direction to see if they both seem to match.

Good luck, I use V-10 V-Carve as well.

Tagwatts

·
Registered
Mike
3,959 Posts
Welcome to the Router Forums Lori.

I guess you found the Piranha post processors in the list. You can also use the CNC Shark post processors.

One thing you need to watch out for with the Piranha is the small Z-axis height. If you hit the top limit you will lose steps and it will try to carve deeper.

Make sure your project fits the cutting limits of the Piranha and be careful not to push those limits or you could lose the X or Y position and all cuts after that will be off.

Also remember to make sure your project is oriented to the bed direction if the long length exceeds the width of the bed.

If you need help with software just ask, there are a lot of Vectric software users here.

Good luck with the new CNC. Above all have FUN.

Reactions: difalkner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.