Router Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined Router Forums.

I've been doing a lot of woodworking projects for a while.

I've pretty much only used my router in the router table until recently. I just started use the plunge base and making signs using the Rocker State Park templates. I found this site while searching for a way to make an "arrow" with the template kit.

A couple of years ago, my wife was a Kid's pastor so I made her lots of games and things out of wood. We just finished building our deck at our dedicated camper spot.

If I had any questions, I guess it would be around how to see what I'm routing when I'm using the bushing for the State Park template. It blocks my view. I've messed up a couple of letters already, but not too bad.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Hello Doug and welcome to the forums....

could you be a bit more descriptive about your view being blocked...
is it totally blocked or are you working in the dark...

how many receptacles and circuits do you have for your shop???

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
Hello and welcome to the router forum, Doug
I Believe you’re having trouble seeing the template and staying next to it, one of the things a lot of us have done is replaced the base plate with a clear acrylic base plate base you can see through,
you can make your own or buy them from different tool locations. Some have add a small light on the router
If you search the forum you should find some references to them
after that Doug it’s a matter of practice
watch this see if it helps

Reactions: Stick486

·
Official Greeter
Ross
10,022 Posts
Welcome to the forum Doug.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Hi Doug and welcome.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Welcome Doug and ask questions and post pictures to help explain your issues with the router. You'll find a bunch of knowledgeable woodworkers here to assist. Just drag your picture file to below where it says Drag Files to Attach.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dougrowland

I should have been more specific earlier. I have a clear base plate. The issue is, there's a brass bushing that rides inside of the template. It is probably a inch or inch and a half and it blocks where the bushing itself is in the template. I can kinda feel when it falls into the template, but I can't tell where I'm at within the letter. I ended up pushing too hard not realizing I was at the end of the letter and the bushing came out of the letter and cut through the plastic letter.

I'll try to post a pic of what I'm talking about. I tried to post pics yesterday, but it said I had to have 10 posts before I could post links.

I also realize I just need to practice. I was also out in the sun and I think it was too bright in areas. I need to move into the garage and use artificial lighting.

I'll see if I can take pics later and post them.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
you can post pictures from the device you are posting from providing the picture are stored on that device...

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
pictures

I should have been more specific earlier. I have a clear base plate. The issue is, there's a brass bushing that rides inside of the template. It is probably a inch or inch and a half and it blocks where the bushing itself is in the template. I can kinda feel when it falls into the template, but I can't tell where I'm at within the letter. I ended up pushing too hard not realizing I was at the end of the letter and the bushing came out of the letter and cut through the plastic letter.

I'll try to post a pic of what I'm talking about. I tried to post pics yesterday, but it said I had to have 10 posts before I could post links.

I also realize I just need to practice. I was also out in the sun and I think it was too bright in areas. I need to move into the garage and use artificial lighting.

I'll see if I can take pics later and post them.

You can post picture now but they need to come from your computer hard drive

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK. I guess previously I was trying post links to pics on my blog.

Here's a couple of pics that will better explain my issue.

You can see from the first picture, even though I have a clear base plate, the brass guide bushing blocks the view.

the second picture shows the bottom of the bushing.

Again the problem is I can't see where the bushing is sitting on the letter. Too bad there isn't a clear bushing. Although I guess it wouldn't be tough enough.

Thanks for any ideas or thoughts.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I didn't realize when I made this post the first time that I could attach pics. I tried linking to pics, but that was rejected. I'll attach a few of some of my work.

The headboard and footboard are probably about the first woodworking kind of thing I ever did like 20 years ago.

The Connect 4, Ticket Booth, game show podiums, and Operation Skeeball were things I built for my wife when she was a kid's pastor.

I also build a lot of props for my daughter's marching band. As well as building float's for my son's football team.

I started playing with trying to build stave drums. Haven't had much success yet.

The last picture shows my garage shop. In this configuration I can actually get a vehicle in there to park. This is a bit old. Currently there it too much crap in there to park anything.

Attachments

·
Official Greeter
19,110 Posts
G'day, Doug and welcome to the forum.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts