Router Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My name is John and I live in the UK.

I set up my home workshop about 6 years ago with the intention of building Acoustic guitars as a hobby. My day work got in the way and I have just returned to the workshop after a break of about 4 years. I have a router table and Trend Router, a couple of Festool routers and draw full of bits many of which I probably will never use.

I want to be able to leverage the full capability of my existing equipment and use it safely.

I will ask a lot of questions and to the well informed I will appear to be dumb, I don't mind I can take it :smile:

I have loads of questions already, thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
John
6,840 Posts
Hello and welcome to the router forUm, John

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
welcome John...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
Welcome, we love questions here, often you'll receive many answers and a variety of solutions.

If you are building instruments, I think you should stick to hand tools, which in a way, a router can be.

YouTube has a variety of videos on this topic

This is a series that leads you to some 40 videos:

This is a series by Paul Sellers, a Brit and noteworthy expert on care and use of hand tools, hand planes in general. I think this will be very useful.:
https://www.youtube.com/user/PaulSellersWoodwork

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
Sorry, one more thing. I think you will find chisels and scrapers very important in building instruments. Chisels are used for shaping making and possibly even setting frets. Scrapers beat sanding by kilometers for creating that awesome shiny finishe guitar players desire on their instruments. You'll find a huge amount of information of those topics on YouTube.

Thanks for giving me a reason to look into this amazing and precise area of woodworking.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Welcome to the forum, John. You will find lots of help and information here. Very friendly group.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,350 Posts
Welcome to the forum John.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Hi John and welcome. The only stupid question is the one you fail to ask. We all started out uninformed but eager to learn.

Reactions: MEBCWD

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Welcome to the Router Forums John.

Work Safe, Have Fun, Cut Some Wood!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts