Router Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently inherited several tools from my uncle. He passed away at 88. Most of the tools are Craftsman and old, but with the exception of a 10" band saw, they all work fine. Woodworking was his hobby after he retired many years ago.

There are 3 routers (one of them mounted to a Craftsman table), 1 circular saw, 1 jig saw, 1 scroll saw, 1 3x21 belt sander, 1 4x21 belt sander, 1 drill press, 1 non-working band saw, and 1 Ryobi band saw.

I have zero experience in woodworking and/or using a router. While watching/learning from YouTube videos and searching for owner manuals for these tools, I found this forum.

I haven't been able to look around yet, but I am looking forward to all the information available here and learning from the experts.

Best wishes for a healthy and prosper 2018 to all.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
welcome Tony...
information we have...
this should get you started....

Attachments

Reactions: explorer0863

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
and to keep you moving along...

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
and for the home stretch on this series...

Attachments

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,201 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Tony! We're glad to have you here and look forward to your questions and projects when you start them. Stick's info is very good so take that to heart and learn what you can from reading. The rest you'll have to get out in the shop and that usually comes with a few mistakes. It's ok, though, we all started sometime and made our fair share of mistakes.

David

·
Super Moderator
5,816 Posts
Welcome aboard, Tony.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. There is a lot of talent on this forum and in all sorts of areas.

BTW, that is a good start on a nice woodworking shop. A table saw would be a good item to add to your inventory.

Mike

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Reactions: gjackson52

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,201 Posts
you make that sound like we don't do that any more...
It's not a mistake until it leaves my shop, Stick, or if it happens to be caught on video (like the bandsaw log debacle earlier this year)! Until then it's a work in progress, right? Right! :wink:

David

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
It's not a mistake until it leaves my shop, Stick, or if it happens to be caught on video (like the bandsaw log debacle earlier this year)! Until then it's a work in progress, right? Right! :wink:

David
ummmmmmmm.... RIGHT!!!!

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
Hello and welcome to the router forum,Tony

Reactions: explorer0863

·
Registered
21,707 Posts
Hi Tony and glad you're joining the fun. Woodworking is one of those things that can be relaxing and satisfying. Very nice you inherited those tools. Many of us wish we had someone interested enough to leave our tools to.

Do you have a table saw? That's a really basic tool. It allows you to make really precise cuts so your project parts fit together well. There are many types available, some better than others. When you're ready for one, ask for suggestions. There are jobsite saws (Bosch about $600 or so is a favorite around here). Contractor saws (more traditional from $600 or so), Cabinet saws (great precision, big, heavy, stable ($800 to start). These can also be found used. Too cheap a saw won't hold up all that well. And the blade you use will make a difference. All of which assistance we'll be delighted to provide when you're ready.

I have a 14 inch band saw for heavy duty stuff, but I also have a nifty 10 inch band saw I really enjoy using. Less than $300 new, mine is a Rikon, but it is identical to a WEN brand saw, which is a little cheaper. But to me, depending on what you like to make, I'd work on a table saw first.

If you have more time than money, start looking around a garage and estate sales (listed in local papers and in social media for your area). Several of us have found good deals (half retail or less) on lightly used equipment.

Have fun with your new hobby.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you all for the welcome, and thank you Stick486 for all the attachments. Sincerely appreciated! I have a lot to read and learn and that’s part of the fun.

DesertRat: No, I don’t have a table saw. When I went to my uncle’s house to pick up the tools, for a second I thought that a table that I saw on a corner buried under bags, wood and other stuff was a table saw. Once I moved everything out of the way I realized that it was a router mounted to a Craftsman table. A table saw is definitely on my list once I learn more about the stuff that I already have. Thanks for the info and suggestions. I’ll keep that in mind.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Hi Tony -welcome to the forum - glad you could join us. Sounds like you've got a good start on some tools. Since you mentioned you have zero experience, my only comment would be this: don't attempt anything in the shop that you are not comfortable with. Sharp, fast spinning things don't mix well with flesh. Ask as many questions as you need to - there are a lot of experienced friendly folks here that are more than happy to help guide you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.