Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, just joined this forum. I am new to wood working and need help selecting a router that I can use for a long time and don't need to upgrade in 5 years. Thank you for letting me join this group.
-Naseem

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
Hello and welcome to the router forum Naseem
Which router to buy big question everyone has a opinion mine is 2.25 hp fixed and plunge bases with speed control go to a place that you can physically can look at and touch and feel. Like everything there are cheap and high priced you may want to find a used one to start out with
If this hobby get in your blood you will Eventually own more than one router. good luck

Reactions: naseemr and Marco

·
Registered
668 Posts
Welcome.... the problem with wanting a long lasting router is the new ones may not be made like the old ones.

When I went to Sears to buy a new push mover the guy who had been there over 30 years looked at me and said " We don't make 20 year mowers no more"

Do you have a router you prefer? A brand? I believe woodworkers are color coded. They seem to chase certain color tools:D

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I don't own one but would recommend The Bosch 1617EVSPK . I have 2 of the Craftsman version which is no longer manufactured and the Bosch will serve you well. Handheld for edge forming and plunge and strong enough for most of the tasks in the router table. Like John suggested you can look, touch, and or feel at the store. Both Home Depot and Lowes carry it. The quality and customer service will both be there in 5 years... BTW Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
Theo
7,182 Posts
Welcome aboard. I've got 5 old Craftsman routers. The newest is something around 15 years, or older. They all work, and do what I want and need. So the only time I will upgrade is when all 5 are dead, then I'll buy a nice big new one, but not buying anything until they are all dead - too old to find parts for, so if one dies, it is kept for parts, or just tossed. Personally, I'd buy a cheap used one I liked, and if it worked out well, I might keep it until it died, or buy a new one, and keep the old one for just-in-case. Your dime.

Reactions: naseemr

·
Registered
668 Posts
I havent used a craftsman router in over 30 years. You can buy better quality routers 15 years old for a reasonable price..mine are pretty old too..
Shelving Collection Shelf Electrical supply Household hardware

·
Official Greeter
Ross
10,026 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello, just joined this forum. I am new to wood working and need help selecting a router that I can use for a long time and don't need to upgrade in 5 years. Thank you for letting me join this group.
-Naseem
Thank you all for your suggestions and comments.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Welcome to the forum Naseem. I'm in the Bosch team as they are well supported and good performers. Another seen often here are the Titans but I have never used one. I have 2 of the 1617EVSPKs and a hand held model fro trim work. The router table has a variable speed with digital readout controller from Jess Em. They have all work very well and I'd buy again. The support side from the companies is also very important. You may well want to consider whatever router you get be able to be used easily in a router table. I'm not a fan of the store bought work top models but that's a personal preference and went the rout of building my own using plans adapted from Norm Abrams. I found the plans on a site called Crestonwood. Although that website seems to be gone now they are a number of places the plans can be found. They were free so there shouldn't be an issue if someone like myself posts them as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts