Router Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently joined the forum to get some ideas on using a router when making European style cabinets.

·
Official Greeter
19,077 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Mark.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mark. What questions do you have about Euro cabinetry?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Charles,
Thank you for offering info on the euro frameless method. Decided not to use particle board for the casement because of outgassing, and heavier than necessary panels. Currently using plywood or T&G framed panels instead. Like the idea of hidden hinges, better drawer slides, and increased interior space. Hoping to route the doors and drawer fronts instead of the plain euro style that I often see in offices.
Mark

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Charles,
Forgot to mention that I took advantage of Lee Valley Tools' recent free-shipping offer and ordered their Veritas 32 System. Should help get things done right.
Mark

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Hi Mark and welcome

If you are into Euro-style cabinets you should track down a copy of a booklet (sadly long out of print) called "Blum Pearls" which sets-out in detail how Euro cabinets are made or, failing that a good alternative source of info is Dave Lers site "32mm Cabinetmaking" which also contains pretty much all the pertinent information. One thing to note which is important - System 32 requires the use of metric and does not work well if converted to inch sizes

I've built my share of these cabinets over here in the UK, so if you have any questions please ask

Regards

Phil

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Mark, check out Marc Sommerfelds site. Marc is a Master cabinet maker/Instructer. Here is one photo of the kitchen he built for his new home.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Mark, something I did with my last set of cupboards (my own) was to put all the shelves on drawer slides. I took 5/8" melamine coated particle board and put a hardwood rim around around them, rabetted to fit over the edges of the melamine (making them drawers rather than shelves). I highly recommend this. I wouldn't do it any other way again. You lose a slight bit of room but what you have is far more user friendly.

The Veritas 32 system is a nice setup. Lee Valley also sells a totally metric tape which you can use with it. If Phil says that you should stick with metric when working with this jig, I have no reason to doubt him. I've found that if you are going to work in metric use a metric tape. If you are working in imperial use an imperial tape. One that tries to do both is useless in my opinion.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Mark, something I did with my last set of cupboards (my own) was to put all the shelves on drawer slides. I took 5/8" melamine coated particle board and put a hardwood rim around around them, rabetted to fit over the edges of the melamine (making them drawers rather than shelves). I highly recommend this. I wouldn't do it any other way again. You lose a slight bit of room but what you have is far more user friendly.

The Veritas 32 system is a nice setup. Lee Valley also sells a totally metric tape which you can use with it. If Phil says that you should stick with metric when working with this jig, I have no reason to doubt him. I've found that if you are going to work in metric use a metric tape. If you are working in imperial use an imperial tape. One that tries to do both is useless in my opinion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts