Router Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to woodworking and setting up my first router.

I got a Triton TRA001, and Bosch RA1181 table. The table plate is not compatible, so i need to drill new holes to mount the router. It does not seem I can take advantage of any of the existing holes.

Im looking for help properly centering the router. Without too much detail, here is what I did: Used the holes in the router base plate to find blank spots on the table plate, then taped the base to the plate and aligned it on top of the router to check fit.

With the collet extended, Ive squared the flat ends of the collet to the edge of the plate. Then checked that the distance between the collet and end of the plate is (close to) even on opposite sides.

But here is what is throwing me:

1. Im not sure if im aligning the right thing? At first I thought I should be aligning the center point of two circles - the throat opening of the router plate with the opening in the middle of the router base plate?

Ive attached pictures to show that when the collet is centered in the table's plate throat, the base plate is not centered.

Is this correct? Or do I need to restart and make the center of the two circles aligned? If so, any tips on doing this?

2. What level of accuracy do I need to achieve? On opposite sides, the measurement to the collet is about 1mm off (for example 4.1cm from collet to top edge, and 4cm from collet to bottom edge) - is that close enough or will this create lots of alignment and accuracy issues for me going forward?
Gas Cameras & optics Font Machine Film camera
Automotive tire Font Auto part Rim Machine

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm not sure why the collet isn't centered. It can only be 1) you didn't center the router base plate accurately to the table plate, or 2) your router base plate isn't centered on the collet. [I'm assuming the the collet is centered in the motor housing!] I think the easiest way of accurately locating locations for drilling mounting holes is to use a router centering cone. Take some short screws which will fit your router mounting holes, cut off the heads, and file one end of each to a sharp centered point- basically sharp set screws. Insert these into the router base with the point barely protruding. With the router centered on the table plate, tap the base so that the points dimple drilling points. If you've already drilled holes, I think that 1 mm off center will at some point be irksome. If so, you can enlarge the holes, drill flat countersinks, and use pan head screws to mount. This will give you a little leeway in centering. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
or 2) your router base plate isn't centered on the collet. [I'm assuming the the collet is centered in the motor housing!] I think the easiest way of accurately locating locations for drilling mounting holes is to use a router centering cone.
Obviously you are right that the router collet and base plate must be aligned, duh! I realize the mistake now - I assumed the table plate's throat opening was centered in the plate but it is not.

Hoping you can nudge me a bit further: Centering the base plate with the table plate is what I cant figure out, and was poorly attempting with my method above.

Im looking at centering cones now - did not know these existed! But from quick googling, it looks like a centering cone is used to help align a base plate to the router. Not a router plate to a table plate?

·
Registered
22,020 Posts
Flat countersinks. Here's a little drawing. It allows for some movement. The through hole needs to be a little larger than the bold, the larger one needs to be just deep enough so the head of the bolt is just below the surface.

·
Registered
669 Posts

I got a Triton TRA001, and Bosch RA1181 table. The table plate is not compatible, so i need to drill new holes to mount the router. It does not seem I can take advantage of any of the existing holes.

Im looking for help properly centering the router. Without too much detail, here is what I did: Used the holes in the router base plate to find blank spots on the table plate, then taped the base to the plate and aligned it on top of the router to check fit.

With the collet extended, Ive squared the flat ends of the collet to the edge of the plate. Then checked that the distance between the collet and end of the plate is (close to) even on opposite sides.

1. Im not sure if im aligning the right thing? At first I thought I should be aligning the center point of two circles - the throat opening of the router plate with the opening in the middle of the router base plate?

Ive attached pictures to show that when the collet is centered in the table's plate throat, the base plate is not centered.

Is this correct? Or do I need to restart and make the center of the two circles aligned? If so, any tips on doing this?

2. What level of accuracy do I need to achieve? On opposite sides, the measurement to the collet is about 1mm off (for example 4.1cm from collet to top edge, and 4cm from collet to bottom edge) - is that close enough or will this create lots of alignment and accuracy issues for me going forward?
View attachment 399199 View attachment 399197
Where are you located?

I would get a short length of 1/4" round bar. Cut a bolt or whatever. Mount the old router to the bottom as normal. Place the short 1/4" bar into the collet. Allow it to rise to a level where you can slip the NEW router and base over the steel pin. This will center the new router. Now mark your holes.

Joe

·
Official Greeter
19,970 Posts
Hi @vtlynch , welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Im looking at centering cones now - did not know these existed! But from quick googling, it looks like a centering cone is used to help align a base plate to the router. Not a router plate to a table plate?
Put one of the larger inserts in the router table then use the centering cone. I am not sure what inserts come with your table but one that is about 1 3/4" will work great.

·
Registered
26 Posts

View attachment 399199 View attachment 399197
Who cares! So long as you're eye ball center so that your table clearance inserts aren't getting torn up, who care?? Lol...you've got two movable fences and your router bit is round.....the accuracy of the concentricty beween your Triton and a hole in your Bosch table is meaningless. How accurate do you think that aluminum casting table top is? Now very, it's a high production casting, not a machined table top like on a shaper or higher level router table. I'd be more concerned your Triton is laying flat against the bottom of the table top, because that will throw your vehicle axis off.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Who cares! So long as you're eye ball center so that your table clearance inserts aren't getting torn up, who care?? Lol...you've got two movable fences and your router bit is round.....the accuracy of the concentricty beween your Triton and a hole in your Bosch table is meaningless. How accurate do you think that aluminum casting table top is? Now very, it's a high production casting, not a machined table top like on a shaper or higher level router table. I'd be more concerned your Triton is laying flat against the bottom of the table top, because that will throw your vehicle axis off.
It would make a difference if you want to use guide bushings.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Agreed, and yes the guide bushings thing can be problematic.

An efficient way to duplicate the holes from the stock base onto the TRA001 is to use the appropriately sized centering punch — obviously one must securely connect the plate to the base (tape).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.