Router Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I need to replace this. Apparently, brushes weren't the problem. The coil "spring that goes around the brush holder is completely burned through. I can't find a replacement part #.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Sean; "burned" as in electrical arc? Anything that is hot enough to vaporize metal would have me deeply concerned as to the 'why' rather than (only) where to get the replacement part.
Is the spring part of the circuit?
If it's just normal wear, better get more than one...both springs should be replaced, plus a spare or two.
Good luck!

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
If that spring is holding the hot brush assembly, I wouldn't discount brushes just yet. I would closely examine the brushes and all it's contact surfaces...chipped, cracked, etc...

Also check the commutator for dirt, dust, carbon buildup, etc... and clean accordingly.

As Dan noted, if the spring is part of the circuitry, more current is being drawn than appropriate.

Definitely look for the cause in the brushes, springs, cap, brushholder, commutator, etc...and any connections/terminal ends or solder points in the line, including the switch.

Did the spring break or "melt"...?

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
dull bits and heavy load could have done the deed to the springs...

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I would still think that a properly working brush should offer a better electrical path than the spring does so it would seem that the spring was carrying more current than it was meant to. I also agree that other issues with the brush assembly should be looked at. Did the wire connected to the brush break or come loose at it's attachment?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well, the wire nut I used to replace the power cord had been melted. This could have caused a short. After further investigation, I think that's what happened, and the spring finally burned through. I've only used dull bits in a pinch and for short cuts. My "heavy loads" have been more carefully minded, since I broke a nearly new spiral bit and remembered a way-more-skilled-than-I woodworker who told me his story of a bit shattering at high speed; I got lucky with the broken bit staying in the wood. It's about time to do an overhaul, at least change the bearings. The brushes are new - the same blue spark issue happened before, and it worked long enough last time to finish rounding over a cabinet.

I'm disabled, only get a few days to work before it hurts too much to even get out of bed. The lowest quote just to replace the bearings was more than I paid for the router. I can't even get them to understand the broken spring. *sigh*

Need to get this fixed to finish my wife's birthday present - a home theater subwoofer built into an ottoman that matches the rest of the furniture.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Sean I wouldn't worry about the bearings until you know if the rest of the router is okay. I would also want to know why the wire nut melted. This normally wouldn't happen unless there is a fault in the routers windings, the brush issue caused it, or you had a corroded connection inside the wire nut that formed a thermocouple. Installing the new bearings isn't a hard job if you have even modest mechanical skills and the bearings aren't that expensive.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just to clarify the spring is attached to the field coil and is part of the circuit it joins the coil to the brush holder. it appears as though you found the reason for it to get hot and snap. As for the bearings they are normally cheap enough to buy and not too difficult to change yourself in most cases. Like most thing it is easy for me to say having had to repair all sorts of electrical tools for a living for over 25years.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! It's frustrating that it costs more to ship than the actual part. No places have it locally and would cost more for them to order. I'll have to wait, but it looks like I'll be down for a few days anyway. Back to trying to solder small electronics with tremors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts