Router Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm cutting small cross halving joints in wooden slats 6mm deep and need to make fine adjustments to the cutter depth. The depth gage on my Makita 3620 is too crude to be of much use. I've not had much experience with a router before. Any suggestions appreciated.

The same question applies to how to accurately cut the grove laterally when I've got to cut a 4.5 mm grove with smaller diameter cutter.

·
Official Greeter
19,058 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Jon.

Zero out the cutter and use a 6mm drill bit as a depth stop........

http://youtu.be/tuSe29Uq2wY

In the video, swap your 6mm drill bit for the "sample"

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm cutting small cross halving joints in wooden slats 6mm deep and need to make fine adjustments to the cutter depth. The depth gage on my Makita 3620 is too crude to be of much use. I've not had much experience with a router before. Any suggestions appreciated.

The same question applies to how to accurately cut the grove laterally when I've got to cut a 4.5 mm grove with smaller diameter cutter.
Make a little slip of wood, preferably hardwood, 6mm thick - or use 6mm MDF or ply if you have some. Lay your router on a flat surface with the cutter fitted. Gently 'bottom' the cutter on the flat surface. Insert the 6mm slip between the rod of the height adjuster and a convenient one of its stops, gently press the rod against it and tighten the depth-setting, Remove the slip, place the router cutter over a hole of some sort - middle of a workmate is ideal - and bottom it again. The depth adjuster should come to rest against its stop with 6mm of cutter protruding, and off you go. If you need to make fine adjustments, put sticky tape on the slip to thicken it in small steps.

Hope that's some help.

Edit - Sorry James, I didn't see your reply before I posted, we're on the same page. Drill bit is a good idea.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
This is a good case for why a router lift is helpful it would allow you to zero in on the depth you need. To get the cut accurate I would set it up as close as possible then do two test pieces. Put them together and see how they fit, they adjust up or down as needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts