Router Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning Y'all!
Some of you post beautiful renderings of your Sketchup illustrations. I'm using the free version of Sketchup. I can draw an acceptable-looking 3-D illustration in Sketchup, complete with different colors and textures. But when I export it to JPG, it changes to a wireframe line drawing that's confusing to look at. How are you posting those great-looking images? Do I have to buy the Pro version to do that?? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I use the "free" version and have never had a problem posting the SketchUp file (.skp). If I'm trying to send a "picture" of the part to someone, I print it as a .pdf file using CutePDF Writer and then send that. I did that with a pair of bookcases that I'm making for my son and daughter-in-law; sent the original concept sketch and then kept changing based on her input.

·
Registered
956 Posts
You use the free version only to created your sketchup drawings? I had given up on sketchup because I did not think it was possible and can't afford pro version.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Sketchup export to jpeg

Morning Y'all!
Some of you post beautiful renderings of your Sketchup illustrations. I'm using the free version of Sketchup. I can draw an acceptable-looking 3-D illustration in Sketchup, complete with different colors and textures. But when I export it to JPG, it changes to a wireframe line drawing that's confusing to look at. How are you posting those great-looking images? Do I have to buy the Pro version to do that?? Thanks!
Andy,
A jpg or jpeg is a 2D image. What you do is position the image in sketchup the way you want it to be seen as a jpeg on your computer screen... then export it as a 2D jpg.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I just do a screen clip using OneNote, open Paint and paste the image and save as .jpg. Then the file easily attaches using the Drag and Drop File Upload. Don't forget that you can also attach .skp files.

Have a look at SketchUp 2016. I pulled it down last night and it has some interesting new features.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
(Palm to Forehead!) Well Duh! I didn't know we could post .skp files here. But can those without Sketchup open it??

Thanks Y'all!

Here's what I was talking about anyway . . .
When I export to jpg, I get a wireframe drawing instead of my pretty rendering.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
They must have recently changed it to allow .skp files. didn't used to be that way. thanks to the Mods/Sysops for that.

If you are going to export 2D images, you might want to play with several settings. First, you should get familiar with the styles window - under window/styles. Lots of options there so it can be a bit overwhelming. Also, take a look at view/edge style (not sure why this is separate form the styles window but it is). Play around with the settings to get the best possible display.

I don't recommend screenshots - they are relatively low resolution and don't always have anti-aliasing so you get some odd effects.

Also, if you include a lot of larger textures, you'll find that the .skp file gets big really fast and at some point may hit the size limit (25 MB, iirc)

I didn't have the problem you showed - pulled down your file and exported to 2D. .png file is attached. looks ok. note that some of your colors aren't 100 opaque.

Attachments

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They must have recently changed it to allow .skp files. didn't used to be that way. thanks to the Mods/Sysops for that.

If you are going to export 2D images, you might want to play with several settings. First, you should get familiar with the styles window - under window/styles. Lots of options there so it can be a bit overwhelming. Also, take a look at view/edge style (not sure why this is separate form the styles window but it is). Play around with the settings to get the best possible display.

I don't recommend screenshots - they are relatively low resolution and don't always have anti-aliasing so you get some odd effects.

Also, if you include a lot of larger textures, you'll find that the .skp file gets big really fast and at some point may hit the size limit (25 MB, iirc)

I didn't have the problem you showed - pulled down your file and exported to 2D. .png file is attached. looks ok. note that some of your colors aren't 100 opaque.
The image you uploaded looks exactly like the drawing on my screen. However, when I export to JPG, I still get a wireframe, just like before. I've messed with the window options, and they change the way it looks on screen, but don't change the JPG file.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Attachments

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
This is what I am working on right now. Just exported to .jpg.

Attachments

Reactions: TenGees

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
It is a panel clamp design for a customer that wants to build end grained cutting boards and wanted something that clamped the boards all 4 ways at one time. I still have to add the nuts for the all thread rod and clamping pads before I take measurements to make one. The tri-lobed knobs help change clamping length without having tools although I am thinking of using a ratchet and socket for tightening.

Most of this design is based on materials the customer already has on hand.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts