Router Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Porter Cable router and I was trying out a new bit tonight. Something must of happened when I was trying it out on some soft wood to tight the chuck down. I can't get my chuck loose to get the router bit out. I have spent nearly two hours trying. Any suggestions. Will my Router be damaged AKA misaligned in someway , can the spindle be bent? I tried not to bend or heave on the spindle just on the chuck. Help! Also How can I check to be sure it is straight once i do get it out, I do a lot of countertop work.

·
Retired Moderator
2,093 Posts
hammernail did you try turning the colect right of the shaft. It sounds like you could have a burr or maybe over tightened it. You should be able to get the nut off the colect side and tap it out from underneath.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i had to send it in for repairs. Several guys tried to get it loosened up at Home Depot where I bought it, even using wrenches and couldn't do it. So I am with out a router for 4 to 6 weeks. I didn't even over tighten when I put the bit in. I hope the repair people put it back in working order and make sure everything works OK.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It might be the same thing my daugher did to mine, last Christmas "saving money" making gifts! She didn't tighten it enough! and it sorta melted together - had to replace parts (would have been way cheaper to buy the gift - but not as much fun?)

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Hammernail, Take the time to read the many posts on proper collet adjustment. There is a lot of good information which will help in the future.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts