Router Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done many successful 3d carves. lately I have a lot of fuzz and lines in my finishing pass (what a mess lately). I trammed my machine and adjusted the stepover and used different tapered ball noses. I even slowed it down. I use Vcarve Pro, I have a lot of sanding to do on every carve now. I am getting very depressed over this issue. I would appreciate any advice on how to fix this messy issue. I have run this same file before and it came out much cleaner than this.

Handwriting Wood Font Wall Artifact
Natural environment Wood Beige Landscape Trunk
Brown Wood Handwriting Font Beige

·
Registered
233 Posts
on the job set up screen, check your resolution at the bottom (std, high, very high), and step over sb about 8-10%, how much material are you leaving on the roughing pass? as Mike mentioned (it looks like it might be oak in the pic??), which doesn't carve well in my book.

whenever i need help, i watch a few tutorials on 3d work to pick up more finer details. try the vectric tutorials, and i like roger webbs video's

·
Registered
208 Posts
The type of wood and the grain pattern is the main factor in fuzz. I get less fuzz by cutting across the wood grain instead of with it. But some fuzz is typical on 3D relief. I have found that a rotary nylon abrasive is an efficient way to remove most fuzz.
I'm looking at your pictures, what size finishing bit are you using?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Since you have run the same file previously with good results, if you are using the same bit and the same parameters, then the bit is likely dull. If you have changed the parameters - feeds and speeds - then those changes and a dull bit may be the culprits.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Try doing your 3D finishing pass in Raster mode and use somewhere between 25 and 35 degree angle. As mentioned in a previous post, some woods do not carve very well. I've never had good luck with open grain woods.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Help needed from experienced 3d carver
That is not me, but I do have the same cnc you have, I just do v carve scripture pretty much. A few weeks ago at the onset on covid around here my cnc had been carving spot on in the simple things I carve, but started acting goofy, and progressively got worse. I called Wesley and told him what it was doing. He advised me to check all the screws on the plate where the router is attached. The 16 small screws were tight, but the 2 philip head screws behind the router backed off just a little, they were not tight as I think they should be tight. I removed them both, blue loctite, and re tightened them both, tight. We both have been on the covid crap for the past for the past few weeks, so I have not spent but a few minutes with it, re trammed it, etc. I really have not felt like messing with it, but I know I had two screws that came loose.
I think it is ready to go now at least.

Hope this helps,
Ray

1 - 7 of 7 Posts