Router Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I'm making a coat rack but I find when I rout the edges some are fine and some have like scuff marks on them what the router leaves, anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong ?
its mainly on the corner, but as I say the other corner ok so I musty be doing something wrong
thanks
David ....

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
bit is getting dull..
clean your bit...
climb cut the scuffed corners...

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Part of the problem is the end grain. Going one way the bit is moving away from it and shears the grain. On the next corner its biting into the grain and tearing some of it off. If this is the case then it will be opposite corners that are scuffed. Like Stick said, a sharp bit and possibly climb cutting it are about the only things that help.

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
David, a Router Workshop rule which may help you is to cut across the grain, with the grain, across the grain and with the grain around your board. Trend Tool and Bit cleaner works great.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Davidrd,

First let me tell you, I loved the question. I think this may have helped me more than you. I am having the same issue on a different little project. But these are the answers that I needed. I have bought some new freud bits, but that did not help. I think the information to do the routing differently will help.

So sir, I hope this will help both of us. It is just amazing and disgusting to me how much Woodworking Knowledge, is contained on this forum.

Thanks again,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.