Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Well, I can't figure out what to buy..I am new to routing so.....I have a Bosch Colt PR20EVS I need to use a bushing guide to mortise small box hinge mortises.

These threaded brass guides look nice but Bosch does not seem to sell them. I need a sub-base that would fit common size guides like 1-3/16 and which guides/bushings should I buy?

Really appreciate some help...Thanks Barry Menary- Wilmette, IL

·
Official Greeter
20,101 Posts
G'day Barry, and welcome to the forum.

There are many base plates available from Amazon and other sources.

There are also many videos on YouTube showing how to make your own base plate.(also a few posts on this forum)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
G'day Barry, and welcome to the forum.

There are many base plates available from Amazon and other sources.

There are also many videos on YouTube showing how to make your own base plate.(also a few posts on this forum)
THank you James, I appreciate the help. I have some acrylic perhaps I could fasion a base plate. Would say 1/4 hardwood work okay? Any reason I should not make a base out of wood?

·
Official Greeter
20,101 Posts
I suppose you could, but I would use acrylic.

I feel that 1/4" hardwood 4x4 piece may not be stable enough.

·
Registered
Paul
2,146 Posts
Ages ago I made a round base for mine. Their screws aren't equally spaced front to back, so the job was a little harder than I expected.

Use your existing plate to make a copy. You just need to size the center hole to fit the bushings. The hardest part might be centering the hole. On previous plates that I've made, I attached the plate and carefully lowered a running bit though it. You're unlikely to find a router bit that's the correct size for the bushings though. I've used Forstner bits on a drill press in the past.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have the Wood River guide bushing set and like them. Here is a link: WoodRiver - Router Bushing Set with Case - Brass - 10 Piece. I often use 1/4" template stock and they work nicely with this thickness; with the Porter Cable set, the barrel is too long to work with 1/4" template stock. You need to make sure the guide bushing is concentric with the router bit otherwise you get undesirable results.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts