Router Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making raised panel cabinet doors using 3/4" oak. Using Bosch 1619 EVS router, speed setting #3, approx. speed 11,000 rpm, new MLCS router bits, Vertical Raised Panel bit 18 degree straight, Matched Rail and Stile 2 piece set Mission Style, Jessem Route R lift. Problem I've having is in routing the rails and stiles and the raised panels. Even though I'm taking four passes, I'm still getting tear out.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,916 Posts
:)
James, welcome to Router Forums, glad to have you join us, I'm positive the members of the community would be more than willing to answer any questions you have :)

Sorry I do not have the answer sounds like you are doing everything right

·
Registered
197 Posts
. Problem I've having is in routing the rails and stiles and the raised panels. Even though I'm taking four passes, I'm still getting tear out.
Is your problem with cutting the end cut on the rails, or the raised panel cut??
Either way, do you have a backer board to protect the end of your cut?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is your problem with cutting the end cut on the rails, or the raised panel cut??
Either way, do you have a backer board to protect the end of your cut?
It's not on the end cut, I use a backer board with no problem. It's on the long cuts of the rail and stile and on the raised panel. Small intermittent tear outs along the way.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Two areas which might give you some help.

1st. Watch the grain direction of the board . Run the board so that the bit is cutting with the grain direction. Think which direction you would run a hand plain on the board and utilize the same technique. Also in this same area, it you see the cut has small ripples, slow down your feed rate slightly.

2nd. When making the long cut, I always do it in 2-passes. The first cut, I will hold the fence away from the bearing by a slight---app. 1/32", then finish with a light cut.
Good luck

·
Registered
813 Posts
Sharp bits and Dick's suggestions should solve the problem. Any excess side movement of the piece during the cut will also cause the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts