Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is this hoop miter?

What part(s) are missing?

Any link to a complete kit?

Thanks in-advance for assistance.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I think you're right on all counts Herb. I'm betting there was a base with the post that it fit on and may have had a dedicated saw to go with it. The gauge at the bottom of where the post goes would have mated with a pawl that locked the jig at those angles.

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
I think you're right on all counts Herb. I'm betting there was a base with the post that it fit on and may have had a dedicated saw to go with it. The gauge at the bottom of where the post goes would have mated with a pawl that locked the jig at those angles.
I think so too. I might have had a fixed fence with a slot through it for the saw and the saw pivoted on the post while the arched held the saw vertical,and the little graduated dial set the angle of the cut.

Herb

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I think so too. I might have had a fixed fence with a slot through it for the saw and the saw pivoted on the post while the arched held the saw vertical,and the little graduated dial set the angle of the cut.

Herb
That sounds very familiar from way back when but mine was blue I think. I'll have to dig through the top of the basement shelf after PT and see if I still have it.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
That is very similar Vince. I would have expected more than just a small bracket with post to support it. I wonder if it had screws holding it together so that the gap between the halves could be adjusted for different sized spines on the saws?

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have a miter saw base similar to the one in wingless's second post but with the same type of device to hold the saw as shown in the first photo of his first post. Mine is not a craftsman miter saw; I don't think there's any connection between the miter saw part and the craftsman router table it is sitting on in the first series of posts.

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Yes, you are right Steve, I too came to the same conclusion right off. The second Post, I would say the saw is mounted on the wrong side of the fence. Vince has got it right on his post.

Herb

·
Premium Member
20,438 Posts
This reminds me of two summers in my youth when I worked with a family friend who did finish carpentry. He had the miter saw setup in the picture. It was lightly spring loaded so it only cut when you pushed it down lightly. No chop saws in those days, it was all hand work. I looked for one of these at one point and couldn't find one. Good memories of what got me interested in woodwork in the first place.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts