Router Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m looking to buy a desktop Cnc machine and need some help choosing the right one will spend about.......£350.....I use solid works and would like to be able to send cad data to the machine maybe dwg or dxf files.
Would like to machine plastic, wood and maybe brass and Aluminium.....if possible.
Harty

·
Administrator
David
3,978 Posts
Welcome to the forum! The best answer I can give you for your desired materials is to add a 0 to the amount. How often do you plan to machine metals and what are your expectations for accuracy and repeatability?

David

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
ditto what David said.

Reactions: difalkner

·
Official Greeter
Ross
10,034 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
198 Posts
many folks are liking the Shapeoko line-up for entry level machines for about $2k. your price range will place you in the chinese 3018 market. there will be additional costs after you buy the machine, in software (unless free) and cutters/bits.

·
Registered
602 Posts
.I use solid works and would like to be able to send cad data to the machine maybe dwg or dxf files.
It doesn't work like that.
There's an additional step involving CAM software. You bring your .dxf file into the CAM software, and create toolpaths and export g-code. The g-code is loaded into the machine controller.

As others have said, $2000 is really the bare minimum entry level cost for a usable CNC machine.
Much Cheaper Chinese machines are available everywhere, but come with numerous issues. Poor electronics prone to failure. Poor fabrication and assembly. Pirated software. Zero support.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts