Router Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put a 6 inch extension block in my 14 inch Delta band saw, but can't find one. I understand the Grizly and maybe the Jet extension fit, but the positioning pin is in the wrong place. I could try drilling it, but not comfortable doing that. Anyone know of or have a block and kit made for the Delta? I think they go for about $150. These seem to be so rare that there is a glut of hens teeth by comparison. Don't you hate when a company sells out to a company that really doesn't understand the market? The new owners get to ride the brand into the toilet.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Sorry Tom, I can't help with that but you do bring up a good point. When I bought my Griz 14" saw a few months back I couldn't see myself re-sawing anything over 6". I still feel the same way, but you've got me thinking that I should go ahead and pick up a riser block while they are still in production. I just expected to pick one up if and when I need it, but I don't want to find myself in the same position looking for an EOL product.

If you decide to go with a different vendor you might want to be careful to find one that works with Delta's blade guide. I noticed that there are several different versions of the Grizzly riser, and my GO555LX needs a special version (only $79) that has the rack and pinion adjuster. I just ordered one with two day shipping if you need some measurements.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Jeff good point as now shown by toms search for the correct riser. The machine companies are changing hands and or products almost as fast as banks change names. When I got my griz band saw I ordered the riser with it, same for the jet lathe I pick up a few years back when they were changing small lathes it was a close out item so I purchased the extension for the short bed in case I need it.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Good points as all these machines are made in Taiwan or China and I doubt the companies that make them are required to have parts available like US manufacturers would be required to do.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm not sure if you need the extension ASAP for a specific project or with future re-sawing in mind but if it's the latter, keep following eBay or OWWM and one will turn up. I see them listed occasionally. You could even put a request out there on the OWWM site.
Good luck,
Hank

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I put a block on a Rigid and was not at all happy with the outcome. You need at least a 1 hp motor to make a decent cut in thicker wood even pine and most of the smaller saws come with a 3/4" In addition I found that it was difficult if not impossible to make straight cuts. In the end I got rid of the saw and bought a Rikon which can resaw up to 13". It has the power to do the job.

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback folks. I will keep looking and will buy a correct kit if it shows up. Otherwise, I'm going to go ahead and start saving up for the Laguna 14-12 with a 3/4 resaw blade. Too bad that Delta has disqualified itself from my shopping list. I think they were absorbed by the owners of Porter Cable and Stanley, so I think we can see the future here.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Thanks for the feedback folks. I will keep looking and will buy a correct kit if it shows up. Otherwise, I'm going to go ahead and start saving up for the Laguna 14-12 with a 3/4 resaw blade. Too bad that Delta has disqualified itself from my shopping list. I think they were absorbed by the owners of Porter Cable and Stanley, so I think we can see the future here.
look to the 16HD.it is impressive...

there is a significant difference between the Italian chinese made saws even with the same model numbers...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts