Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I have recently bought a trend biscuit cutter with a 12mm shaft rather than 1/2 inch. I didnt know that there would be much difference. I have a makita 3612cx and was wondering if there a an attachement to convert and use the cutter.

Thanks
Andy

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Andy

Most biscuit cutters have a 8mm hole in them, so to say use one of your other router bit shanks with the 8mm shank on it..

Trend U*T370X1/4TC GUIDED BISCUIT JOINTER 5/32 CUT | Ace.Tool.com - The Tool Experts

=========

Hey Guys,
I have recently bought a trend biscuit cutter with a 12mm shaft rather than 1/2 inch. I didnt know that there would be much difference. I have a makita 3612cx and was wondering if there a an attachement to convert and use the cutter.

Thanks
Andy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, its a 1/2 inch router, but it just seems to be a bit slack. All other 1/2 inch router cutters are 12.7mm. Just wondering if there was a way for this to fit with reducer

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Do not use an 12mm shank in a 1/2" collet. If you manage to tighten it enough to grip you'll probably ruin the collet and if you don't the bit will come out and give you an unpleasant surprise.
There are reducers available for 8mm
4 pc Collet Reducer Bushing for 8mm, 1/4" Router Bit - eBay (item 140371773484 end time Feb-02-10 16:30:44 PST)

but for 12mm you'll need an actual 12mm collet as there would be insufficient wall thickness to create a 1/2" to 12mm one.

They are certainly available for DeWalts 12MM ROUTER COLLET FOR DEWALT DW625EK on eBay (end time 06-Feb-10 16:44:23 GMT) and I would have thought Makita do them for the European market. You didn't say where you are from, though.

Cheers

Peter

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From Inverness,Scotland. Yeah so i need to buy i need collet altogether. So why do they sell 12mm and not 1/2inch, bit silly is it not

1 - 9 of 9 Posts