Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Theo
6,912 Posts
Looks like something inspiring for the CNC guys.

Here's another.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I have never hidden anything about cost from my wife and she does the same. In fact, in 45+ years, I only bought one thing that I didn't tell her about forehand. I bought a casting reel on sale but still told her the price.

Cute sign- that is great customer service.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I just hope that when I die my wife doesn't sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them. Or most of the wood stuff!!

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gun Locker!

I just hope that when I die my wife doesn't sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them. Or most of the wood stuff!!
If she finds out beforehand they may be a contributing factor in your early departure... >:)
SWMBO and I have always had separate accounts (We both had careers); I don't bug her about how she spends her money and ditto for me...not counting the accusatory looks I get.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
That should be an offer at any tool, hunting, fishing, or golf store. They could make a tidy sum on the side.

I never kept secrets from my wife about purchases in my 2 passions which is tools and archery but she made a rule that she eventually got jewelry as her reward which is her passion. She has a fairly nice jewelry collection as a result.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I usually mention, a few times, how I'd like the item, to soften it's purchase. The remark always is "why do you keep talking about it. If you want it, get it. You'll know in time if it was a good choice."
Strange thing is after all these years I still feel uncomfortable when buying something for myself. We've always been thrifty, by need and by nature, the kids are long gone, no debt whatsoever and yet I still go through this struggle with my conscience. I think the aforementioned remark means "you made the decision, live with it".

·
Registered
Theo
6,912 Posts
With me, it's mostly books. I've got books I paid $4 or $5 for, and last I checked, several years ago, most of them are now selling, used, in at least the $100 range, with some going in the $200s, or even $300s, ranges. I made my son promise to not just dump them at a used book store. Last I checked they had jumped up to around $4-5000, probably more now.

I still get a bit bitter at times. My grandfather had promised a number of times that I would get a large wooden chest, packed solid with woodworking tools. Never saw a one. When he died they sold like two dozen custom wooden molding planes for $1 each, and I imagine they got similar prices for the rest of the tools. All hand tools, probably the newest was 25-50 years old, and some older, all in excellent condition. I was oversea at the time, so I guess they just wanted a few easy $.

·
Premium Member
19,236 Posts
How timely is this. Went to Rockler to watch a demo and they had the Triton plunge track saw on sale...need I say more. So I also got the 54 and two 27 inch tracks. It will live in my garage where my wood prep tools are. I have a smal DC hose somewhere and look forward to not having so much cleanup work to do. I'll likely fess up in a day or two when I start cutting the parts for 17 drawers made of half inch BB ply.

·
Registered
Theo
6,912 Posts
Should have been now instead of not, in my post . Tried to edit it, but somehow couldn't.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I usually mention, a few times, how I'd like the item, to soften it's purchase. The remark always is "why do you keep talking about it. If you want it, get it. You'll know in time if it was a good choice." Strange thing is after all these years I still feel uncomfortable when buying something for myself. ................
I'm the same. I always tell John what I'm thinking about and he always says 'get it', doesn't matter what it is. I feel guilty when I spend £3.00 on some magnets or knurled nuts!!!

·
Premium Member
19,236 Posts
I'm the same. I always tell John what I'm thinking about and he always says 'get it', doesn't matter what it is. I feel guilty when I spend £3.00 on some magnets or knurled nuts!!!
I'm the same way with my wife's desired purchases. I consider that part of the marriage deal, no, make that the HAPPY marriage deal.

The old truism, happy wife, happy life, is profoundly true. :laugh2: :x:

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I can't shoot anymore because of my health so my wife ask me to sell most of my guns. In the past several months I have sold around $12,000 worth of guns and still have some. She never knew what I paid for them but she knows what I sold them for and I think she was surprised. I mostly had Smith & Wesson hand guns and old 22 rifles from the CMP. Yes I miss them. :crying:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Two way street. First wife spent everything I made plus...
Present wife is thrifty, so we buy for each other. Sometimes that means that it isn't a surprise, but then again it's never a bad surprise.
She even likes to shop tool stores with me. Believe me, I am not abusing that privilege. We both know how to wait until the money and desired product line up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Welcome JFTSO. If you've been reading then you know that we like names or nicknames to refer to you by.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
LOL, he meant for you to add it in your profile :wink:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts