Router Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my dust collector. I got the delta ap400 at lowes on Friday and put it together on Sunday. I always heard that it is quieter then a shop vac oh it is unbelievablly quiet. And with a 4" hose is really capiable to do what I want it to do. I going to use it for one machine at a time. Have to get some fittings for it so I can use the 2 1/2" hose to hook up my machines. I took the grate out of the fitting right be for the propellers because I figured that is where it would block up when I'm using it for planing I figured for that it will be a direct feed with the suction hose so it doesn't have far to travel. But this a welcome addition to my shop. No more brooming for this guy when I'm planing. ;)

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Glad you got a good dust collection system set up! I'm sure you will enjoy it.

I am a bit worried however. I don't know what the delta looks like so maybe I'm off base here but I must warn you that in general removing the grate/screen might not be a good idea. Soon or later an object will find its way to the impeller and it will not be very quiet at that point... as in can you say damaged = $.

Maybe other could comment on this?

Ed

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Congrats Glenmore,

I have been looking at them too for a while. Not sure if I want to get the Delta or the one from HF.

I have been reading on other forums where alot have removed the grate because that is where it clogs up at. I also read where they add a couple of magnets to catch any small metal shavings.

·
Retired Moderator
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Randy I bought this one I was looking at the HF 2hp model before I latch onto this one . The problem is if you don't live close to one of their stores the shipping will kill that idea. I called them just to get a price and it almost doubled. Ed I'm not worried about that it will handle the occational wood chips from the tablesaw. Just going to be for saw dust still have a shop vac for the floor and other things. Thanks for the warning though.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Here my 2 cents...about DC...When and if you get to the point of hooking it up to several machines..Try to keep it near the Machine's that create alot of ducts..Like a planer Table saw..etc..
Gates are as must..and going to a larger pipe wont hurt you..5 or 6 inch.
Take the Grate off , im a not sure is a good thing to do., Might be ok for a sanding machine but if you get a large piece it may bend the impeller.
Sounds like you got a Great DC..2 hp should move alot of dust...Congrads on the new machine..
Hickory

·
Registered
143 Posts
Glad to here you added a DC to your shop equipment list. I fully agree with your taking out the grate before the blower impeller to prevent clogging, however, I would add a seperator between your suction and the blower. If you are using it to sweep up and suck up a chuck of wood or a screw or something heavier, it won't get to the blower. They are only around $30 plus a trash can and I think that's cheap insurance to protect your investment. Good luck..........Chuck

·
Retired Moderator
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hickory sorry for the little mix up I bought a 1hp delta. Should work well for what I'm going to use it for.

Chuck I was thinking of that line of getting a seperator just for that purpose thanks for everyones input. Always open for sugestions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.