Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inherited a HF Dust Collector. Item number 61790.

During the setup I discovered that the switch is loose. It appears to be missing the key that would allow me to turn it on. See photo.

Can I buy a replacement key for the switch? Can I replace the switch? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,698 Posts
There is a plate covering the switch. Unplug, open the cover and pull the switch. You will need to look up one that's the same or close enough. It may be that you can just put in a different switch, wire it in and use a standard cover plate. If the cover plate doesn't have standard attachment screw hole placement, you can purchase cover plates that have the toggle cutout you need for the repacement switch, but no holes drilled to screw it in place. In that case, use the HF cover plate to mark the screw placement.

I leave the switch on and have a switch to the power source inside the shop. I have 20 amp circuits in the shop, so I go with higher capacity electrical hardware. My DC unit is in a separate enclosed space just outside the shop. Much quieter.

·
Official Greeter
19,753 Posts
Is the switch set to "on" all the time?

The key is just to prevent accidental use....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It does appear that the switch defaults to the On position, but it doesn’t power on when I plug it in. I’m thinking about just replacing the entire switch. Looks like I can get a similar switch for about $10 off of Amazon
Gadget Metal Material property Communication Device Everyday carry

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
If you can't make a piece of plastic to push in to unlock the switch, which I'm sure that you can, then there are many suitable safety switches on Ebay and Alixpress starting from about $7.00. The magnetic ones shown are the safest because once turned off it won't start the DC until the "ON" button is pressed.

Reactions: kp91

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
If it is new, contact HF. They will fix you up for nothing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
679 Posts
If you can't make a piece of plastic to push in to unlock the switch, which I'm sure that you can, then there are many suitable safety switches on Ebay and Alixpress starting from about $7.00. The magnetic ones shown are the safest because once turned off it won't start the DC until the "ON" button is pressed.
I think that the only bad with the switch is the miss of the plastic piece that Harry mentioned, I´d try to make one, before anything else. Id insert some plastic piece and see if it locks the switch and if it works: on-off(y)

Regards.

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,960 Posts
PARTS INQUIRY
How do I order replacement parts?
Many of our products have replacement parts available for purchase. To purchase a part, please contact Customer Service at 1-800-444-3353, Monday thru Sunday 6am to 6pm (PT), or via email. Specify the product name, item number and description of the part when making your inquiry.

ask them for a replacement key. should be less than $3

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think that the only bad with the switch is the miss of the plastic piece that Harry mentioned, I´d try to make one, before anything else. Id insert some plastic piece and see if it locks the switch and if it works: on-off(y)

Regards.
I think I’ll try to make one first. I have a piece of UMHV plastic. I should be able to cut to fit.

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
I appreciate all the replies. I plan on getting a replacement switch. I do have a question. I removed the cover and there are 4 wires. Green (ground), black (hot), white (neutral), and what appears to be another white wire. Is this 4th white wire another neutral?

I'm not familiar with US colour codes and have never come across an earth wire going to a switch, normally, one wire is mains live, one mains neutral and two go to the motor.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
The switch appears to be a double pole single throw (DPST) switch. When turned on the two black wires are connected as well as the two white wires. If you want, you could replace it with a standard DPST switch (don't try to use what is know as a four way switch which also has four termina l screws). If you are operating it on 120VAC, not 240VAC, you can just connect the two white wires together and use a standard single pole switch to switch the two black wires. Whatever you do buy a good switch rated for at least 20amps, preferably one that 'snaps'. The silent ones used for lighting will work but aren't the best for motor control.

·
Registered
21,698 Posts
Green, ground, is often afixed to the metal body of a switch. The two white,one coming from the power source, the other going to the motor. Although it is hard to see in the picture, there is a second black wire going to the switch, and one is from the power source, the other goes to the motor. Double pole, single throw.

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
Green, ground, is often afixed to the metal body of a switch. The two white,one coming from the power source, the other going to the motor. Although it is hard to see in the picture, there is a second black wire going to the switch, and one is from the power source, the other goes to the motor. Double pole, single throw.
Having now taken another deeper look I would say that the green wire IS an earth but to the metal box, not the switch. one pair of black/white wires are the mains input whilst the other pair of black/white wires go to the motor.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I removed the cover and there are 4 wires. Green (ground), black (hot), white (neutral), and what appears to be another white wire. Is this 4th white wire another neutral?
I see two White and two Black wires going to the switch.
Plus the ground going to the box?

Basically the switch is switching both the hot and neutral wires.

·
Registered
860 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.