Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Melbourne, Australia.

Two and a half years ago I decided to get into woodworking as a hobby. I didn't know woodworking is an expensive hobby and find myself in a rabbit hole. I made a cut from my newly purchased slide compound saw and looking at a stream of dust hitting the wall then fine dust filled the garage :( . I then bought a 3hp DC then a taiwanese made cyclone separater but it was a waste of money, it choked the DC then I ended up made myself a Bill Pentz cyclone to mate with the 3hp Dc, they seem to work ok.

I have been saving, buying tools while setting shop and haven't made anything yet.

This time last year I took my family of 5 to the USA for 6 weeks holiday, we enjoyed the holiday so much that i got a bit depressed when back at home instead of putting the money back into the home loan (i made a big redraw from home loan for the holiday), i spend on woodworking tools :)

This is a great forum i will stick around to learn router skills :)

Hoey

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
welcome Hoey from Melbourne, Australia...
glad you came by...

since yur new we have some light reading for ya at this here link...

and about that DC... we have another link to cover that...

Reactions: Hoey and jj777746

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,059 Posts
Welcome to the forum Hoey, we Aussies will soon be a significant number here. Never hesitate to ask questions, the forum consists of friendly, knowledgeable men and women from all walks of life and many parts of the world.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Hi Hoey and welcome.

Reactions: Hoey

·
Premium Member
20,509 Posts
Hi Hoey, Glad you choose to join in the fun. Those of us from America have become fond of you fellas from Down Under. I'm attaching a 10 page pdf about the 18 things that helped me speed up my learning curve. I realize the tools brands are different in Australia than here, but with a little extrapolation, I think you might find it helpful, including helping you avoid wasting money on unneeded items. I will say that of all the tools, a table saw is the number one purchase. It is the center of all woodworking shops. You can do a lot with a circular saw and straightedge, but there's a limit. You have to work with the good face down and laying on a layer of tape on the cut line will help make a decent cut.

If you're going to make furniture, you should get a table saw that takes a dado set of blades so you can cut grooves and even rabbets to assemble really strong cabinets. Lots of information on this in the pdf.

A drill press turns out to be really useful as well.

Making your own router table is pretty easy to do, and it is far safer than working freehand.

At any rate, welcome and I suspect that as you start making things, you'll be as hooked as the rest of us.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
Hello and welcome to the router forum, Hoey
If it is going be a hobby start building some projects and buy your tools as you need the.them!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hi Hoey and welcome to the family from a fellow Melbournian...Melbournean....Melb...:confused: :confused: . Ah you know what I mean mate!

Yep you get caught up in the tool buying thing very quickly....I did.

Anyway, enjoy the stay mate and I look forward too seeing some of your projects.
Cheers!

·
Official Greeter
Ross
10,076 Posts
Welcome to the forum Hoey.

·
Registered
Mike
3,843 Posts
Welcome to the Router Forums Hoey.

·
Official Greeter
19,128 Posts
G'day Hoey. Welcome to the forum.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.