Router Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kurt Meyer is my name. Woodworking is very new to me, but I can at least do the basic stuff. Just do not ask me to do dovetails, etc. still a bit scary.

For my first project, I decided to build a patio table out of Saligna wood. I drew a simple design on a small 2x4 piece of paper, but I have redrawn it properly on Sketchup. My first piece of drawing since college days. Took a bit getting my head around drawing in 3D, but got the hang of it soon enough. I've attached the SKP file below.
I have cut the wood into the correct lengths, now to glue and screw everything together. :smile:

I'll put up a photo once it's been completed.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Hi Kurt and welcome. My computer says I need a newer version of Sketchup before I can look at your drawing. We have a few members who are pretty good with it. I started trying to learn it and was making progress and then got busy with other stuff and forgot what I had learned.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Welcome Kurt - I also couldn't open your Sketchup drawing, as I too would need a newer version, which I can't access due to only having a 32 bit system. But I look forward to seeing a pic of your finished article. (I have been using Sketchup for over 10 years, and commit nearly all my appropriate projects to a Sketchup 'rehearsal')

Rob in Wilderness

·
Registered
Mike
3,941 Posts
Welcome to the Router Forums Kurt.

File opened for me and looks like a good starter project. Not sure how well Saligna will hold up to the elements. Being a gum wood it would have a tendance to be slightly unstable and also prone to insect damage. That being said, if you build it out of Saligna and it falls apart in the weather after a couple of years then you will have built your woodworking skills so the replacement you make would be a whole lot better.

Post pictures of the build and of the finished table.

·
Registered
21,707 Posts
Welcome. I guess I'm officially old since I am just not interested in learning Sketchup. Sounds like a good project. Are you thinking of using mortise and tenon joints in the bench?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Charles,

There is a free Sketchup viewer for mobile devices in the iTunes store as well as Google Store.
it works well, only thing you cannot do is create or edit files.

As can be seen in the photo below, I've built the frame and cut the top slats and the outer edge of the table top.
Got to sand and dress the table top and then put it together.

Someone asked me how I'm putting the table together.
As I said, I'm still very novice to this game, so I'm using screws to hold it all together. Counter sunk and covering with a wood putty.
I know it's not as neat as dowels, etc. but I still need to learn that bit of craftsmanship.
I'm using Woodoc Deck Dressing for the table, as it will be open to the elements.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.