Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I googled my router issue and came across this forum (y)

I'm reasonably handy with saws, planes, routers etc (I think inherited some skills off my Dad) but no doubt have a lot to learn too.

My problem is that when I route some pieces of softwood I find that the router bit splits the wood along the grain and doesn't give a clean finish. I'm feeding the wood against the rotation of the bit (was always told this was correct to avoid the bit pulling the workpiece through) but it is frustrating that I don't seem to be able to resolve this problem.

What am I doing wrong??

·
Registered
21,838 Posts
Hi and welcome. Sounds like you're feeding the piece through so the bit is biting into the grain. Grain seldom goes absolutely straight, usually you can see it. Here's a picture.
Wood Flooring Floor Wood stain Hardwood

Also, do you need to clean the pitch off your cutter? Any sawblade cleaner will do with a soak and a toothbrush. A dull cutter could do that. Below is a youtube video on cleaning and mantaining router bits.

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,258 Posts
I'm feeding the wood against the rotation of the bit
That's a conventional cutting profile but often it's necessary to do a climb cut. Sometimes it's for the reasons Tom gave, sometimes it's just to get a smoother finish cut. On my CNC I cut both ways but almost always finish with a climb cut. Doing it by hand just requires more control so the router doesn't 'self feed' too fast for you to hang on, so don't take a big bite when doing a climb cut.

I rarely cut soft woods but in hardwoods this works quite well. I would imagine soft woods will tend to grab a bit more.

·
Official Greeter
19,828 Posts
Welcome to the forum, @Rob99

1 - 5 of 5 Posts