Router Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stumbled on this site after I searched Marc Somerfield's router table. So far I read one review and it wasn't favourable. I am looking for people who own the Bench Dog table. I need to make raised panel doors to replace those dreaded white melamine doors we have now on our kitchen cabinets. Just wondering if I can get the job done with the bench Dog or do I have to go to a 32 x24 table?

Thanks for listening,
Larry W

·
Super Moderator
John
6,943 Posts
:) Hello Larry , Hope you like and enjoy the router forums make yourself at Home. :) Please participate by asking and answering questions, that is what makes this forum work!
Again welcome.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I have just done a set of raised panel doors and have a very basic bench top table...and a 1 3/4 hp router...using a vertical panel bit...and a r&s bit ??? replacing some real old plywood doors..so big and fancy isn't always necessary...make do with whats available and take your time etc...

Attachments

·
Official Greeter
18,847 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Larry.

I agree with BC, you do not need a fancy table to make small raised panel doors.

I have seen raised panel doors made on a table only 16" x 30"...

Having the correct cutter set is more important.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
9,527 Posts
Welcome to the forum Larry.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Hi Larry and welcome. About 3 years ago we bought a Grizzly table. It has absolutely everything you need for this kind of work and then some. For $140 delivered to your door you can't beat it. The $10 'oversize fee' is your shipping cost. Download the PDF for a better look.

Grizzly.com

dick

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's okay Will I -pick my US freight at an American box and bring it across the border myself. I will have a peek at Grizzly, thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It seems from the general consensus that a small Bench Dog table will work for me. The only hang up I have is using the Woodpecker's COP! sled. I would have to turn the fence around from the miter slot and use it on the back side. That just seemed haywire that's all. Thanks, everyone for the help, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Dick. I have Marc's bit set and have done some cutting with the sled and without. The cope cut can be done without a sled. Thanks for the tip!
My next project is to make a router table from an old coffee table 29" x 50" x1". I've been running things over in my mind - If I use Sommerfeld's table dimensions, I would have to mount the router in the centre of the table. I would like to mount the plate at one end, say 12 to 14 inches from the edge. This would give lots of support for a sled and would give easy access to the bit without reaching, plus I could always use the long length of the table for jointing etc. I could also use the table for an out feed table from the table saw. Your input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Larry W

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
With a table top that size, if it were me i'd consider 2 locations for the plate. One toward the end as you've described, and another toward the center for if you wanted to split the support that 50" can offer. No need to do it from the beginning, as the hole could be cut later, but if you plan your cabinet/supports to have that flexibility it's there if you ever want it. One of our members (Chris Curl if i remember correctly) put 3 holes in--but i'm not sure he was totally satisfied. I'll try to find that thread tonight.

earl

1 - 13 of 13 Posts