Router Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice forum! Most of my recent information comes from the instrument-makers' forums, and doesn't conflict with what I've found here, so far.

I learned router use from my Dad, back in the '60's, and I'm amazed at the choices in tools and techniques available today. He had a healthy respect for these whirling death machines, yet no one thought much of wearing safety equipment then.

I mainly build guitars, so I do a lot of work with templates. So far, I only use a hand-held Ridgid combination machine, which I like very much.

Next for me is building a router table.

I came over here to find out more about spiral and shear cutters for pattern routing.

Question: do some of the "straight-flute" bits from CMT and Whiteside have a slight spiral to them?

Question: are end-mills safe to use at router speeds?

I bought Bill Hylton's Woodworking with the Router recently, and found the best explanation of feed direction I've seen. The woodworking jargon regarding uphill, feed against the rotation, climb cutting had been confusing before this.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,917 Posts
Hello Steve, Hope you like and enjoy the router forums make yourself at Home. :) Please participate by asking and answering questions, that is what makes this forum work!
Again welcome.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Hi Steve welcome to the forum :happy:

Guitars, huh? Me thinks you and I will get along FAMOUSLY honey!!! :lol:

Would love you see some of your work, and I have a pattern/plan I got for free (somewhere) for a router table with storage to boot that I keep thinking I'm gonna make or have the better half tackle. Hollar if ya want the pattern.

·
Registered
786 Posts
welcome aboard....enjoy

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,946 Posts
Welcome to the forum Steve.

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
Hi Steve, welcome to the forum.

RE:
do some of the "straight-flute" bits from CMT and Whiteside have a slight spiral to them?
The term 'straight cut' , to me, refers more to the side profile of the cutter. Some 'straight' cutters have the carbide vertical some are spiral and some have a slight shear to the edge. You may be referring to the shear edge cutters as "a slight spiral".

MLCS Flush Trim and Shear Angle Flush Trim Router Bits

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Barb - I would be interested in your router table plans. That's my next project.

James - Thanks for the tip on the MLCS bits. What I was referring to was similar, but perhaps unadvertised. BigDguitars had mentioned in the video below that the CMTs had a shear cut to them. Oops, won't let me post the url for the YouTube video; sorry.

Thanks again!
Steve

·
Registered
123 Posts
Welcome Steve. Several members have posted about their interest in guitar building so you may find a new "band" of buddies here. As to you router table build, you'll find lots of ideas and free plans on the web as well as from this group.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jeff, at MLCS, sent this along today: "We do not have a shear angle pattern bit. However, you can take our #5483 1/2" diameter, 1/4" shank, 3/4" cutting length straight bit and add a top mounted bearing kit (#218), to basically make one if you don't mind using a 1/4" shank and can get by with a 3/4' cutting length."

That will do! Never crazy about 1/4 inch shank, but I have several that cut 1/2 OD. Besides, I only kiss the wood, anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts