Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi thanks for letting me join.
I've been involved in various trades but am now just learning and experimenting with some of the finer points of woodworking.
I bought a Ryobi Plunge router which is ok but I've discovered it doesn't seem to be a good choice for a router table which is what I really want a router for 90% of the time. One reason is it doesn't have a lockable "on" button. The other is it is awkward enough to adjust depth of cut upright let alone upside down under a table.
I don't mind the Ryobi plunge router but I have decided I need something else as a dedicated table router... no doubt of which I will ask a heap of questions about here.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Welcome to the forums N/A...

About your desire to learn... We have some light reading for you...
As in, we've put some helpful information together at this here link to help you get up and running in the world of routers... We hope it to be useful to you... Enjoy...
Do take some time and read the safety PDF's... PLEASE!!!
Blood and trips to the ER, we find, are very annoying... Not to mention – expensive...

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Welcome Andy. There are a number of routers which can be adjusted from above the table these days which takes a lot of the pain out of using a plunge router for your table, as opposed to a motor only installed in a lift. You still have to reach under to lock and unlock the the router in position but if you leave access to it that’s a small annoyance.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
Hello and welcome to the router forum, Andy

Reactions: AndyP73

·
Registered
Steve
1,900 Posts
Hi and welcome Andy.
Was that the Ryobi RRT-1600 plunge router from Bunnings by any chance?
That's what I bought as my first router, and it's (in my opinion) a great unit.
I have bought another router (Makita) for my router table, so that now gives me the flexibility to do either with relative ease.

I'm jealous of your Melbourne location, but only for easy access to Timbecon. I have to order my stuff for delivery up to Newcastle.

·
Registered
21,697 Posts
Welcome. Give Triton TRA001 a look. I think it's an Aussie company, but it is a wonderful table router. 3.25 hp and a built in lift. I learned about it several years ago from a member from Perth and really like it. It's a little too beefy to me for hand held use, but you have the Ryobi for that. The Triton is a plunge router, but you remove the return spring for table use. Mine has never been out of the table. The power is really nice. We are definitely a friendly bunch and many love to support and teach.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Welcome, Andy...my vote would be for the Triton for table use. Mine is mounted in a Bosch 1181 router table. I had to drill new holes to mount the router but it is not a difficult thing to do.

·
Official Greeter
19,753 Posts
G'day Andy, welcome to the forum

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Welcome. Give Triton TRA001 a look. I think it's an Aussie company, but it is a wonderful table router. 3.25 hp and a built in lift. I learned about it several years ago from a member from Perth and really like it. It's a little too beefy to me for hand held use, but you have the Ryobi for that. The Triton is a plunge router, but you remove the return spring for table use. Mine has never been out of the table. The power is really nice. We are definitely a friendly bunch and many love to support and teach.
Thanks very much for the advice...after some research last week I actually got the little brother of the range the MOF001.. and couldn't be happier with the features. I will upgrade to the larger unit at some point though. I believe they have the same bolt pattern for table mounting 4" in a square so I guess that helps?
I've made a 12mm (1/2" approx) acrylic plate (just had some lying around) which is 9 1/4" x 13 3/4" I think...in any case the same dimensions as many other plates out there. It is wide enough the handles clear.
The table will be 900x600, 36" x 24" probably a little over. I'm fairly certain I'm going to do an offset mounting like for example the Incra 36x24 unit. It seems offset a have more options with the wider area?
Again- thanks!
Andy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi and welcome Andy.
Was that the Ryobi RRT-1600 plunge router from Bunnings by any chance?
That's what I bought as my first router, and it's (in my opinion) a great unit.
I have bought another router (Makita) for my router table, so that now gives me the flexibility to do either with relative ease.

I'm jealous of your Melbourne location, but only for easy access to Timbecon. I have to order my stuff for delivery up to Newcastle.
The penny's finally dropped: "Timbercon"...(to add insult to injury) hehe, I actually live around the corner from it... haven't been yet.. must check it out! Got to beat Bunnings.. I couldn't even get 1 pattern bit there last night >_< so ordered some awfully cheap ones via FeeBay last night. It looks like Timbercon were out of stock of the pattern bits so it says online.

Your projects look awesome by the way! I've got so much to learn.

Well, I'm not up at Newcastle much but there's always a possibility I could lend a hand if there's something needing done in person at T.C. for you,

Cheers,

Andy

·
Registered
Steve
1,900 Posts
The penny's finally dropped: "Timbercon"...(to add insult to injury) hehe, I actually live around the corner from it... haven't been yet.. must check it out! Got to beat Bunnings.. I couldn't even get 1 pattern bit there last night >_< so ordered some awfully cheap ones via FeeBay last night. It looks like Timbercon were out of stock of the pattern bits so it says online.

Your projects look awesome by the way! I've got so much to learn.

Well, I'm not up at Newcastle much but there's always a possibility I could lend a hand if there's something needing done in person at T.C. for you,

Cheers,

Andy
I have bought a few things from Timbecon, haven't been disappointed yet. There are no specialty woodworking shops near me, so I have to order from places I trust for some. Bunnings is okay for some things but not all. Total Tools have a limited range, and other than that, it's online shopping for me ;)

At least you're close to TC. Definitely check them out, I have found them to be helpful so far. Apparently they host demo nights and things too.
And yes, I am very jealous of your proximity, and yes, I'm also shocked you hadn't been there yet!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.