Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Timon, The first things you need to decide are
1.What are you going to use your router for, edge treatment, Molding, Panel and door making, or all of the above
2. Are you going to use the router handheld, in a table or both.
Your decision affects Power requirements and Plunge or Fixed base, single speed or multi speed.
Any of the large router bits should only be used in a table and would require variable speed as a single speed router runs to fast to safely rout with those bits.
I currently have a Porter Cable 3 1/4 hp fixed, Freud FT2000E 3 1/4 hp Plunge and a Bosch 2 1/4 Plunge any of these routers I would recommend
Hope this helps
Paul

·
Registered
15 Posts
The PC (porter cable) 1.5 HP with the plunge router or fixed feature is a nice machine to start with. If you find these get alot of use, you will have more than one in your arsenal of tools. One will be in a router table (probably the larger machine) and the smaller ones(s) will be used for free hand work.

I would not recommend starting out with a powerful (2.5hp and above) router as these are very powerful machines and can do some damage to the user. Start off slow and grow with your experience.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi Timon ... and you thought it would be an easy answer!! I tend to agree with Unisaw as to start out with something a little smaller until you are used to them and then realise they are like Gremlins and multiply when you least expect it ... I started off with a little Black and Decker and just did edge forming and now I have the DW 621 and I use it for pretty much everything except making the coffee (hint hint to the Dewalt guys .. a totally un-tapped market there I tell you).
Welcome anyway, all of these guys are great for advice.

Aaron

·
Retired Moderator
2,093 Posts
Hi there Timon welcome I bought myself a porter cable 690 1 3/4 horse power with a fixed base but wish I threw in the extra money for the plunge base for it. It is a fine router though have mine mounted in a table.

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Hi Timon,welcome to the forum. Excellent experience and advise here. I agree with Paul and Glenmore on what you should choose. These are good starting points. Dr.Zook

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi Timon, I have a number of routers, but if I were starting out and could afford it I would get a varible speed plunge router of about 2-2 1/4 HP. However,
the Porter Cable 690 is also a good router and it can be bought with both fixed and
plunge bases. Hope this helps, Good luck, Woodnut65

·
Registered
6 Posts
hiya timon..
i have a pc 690 .. and its used for all free hand work and i have pc 895 with a fixed base mounted in a table the plunge base is also in action daily.. the 2 1/4 hp is a great workhorse..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts