Router Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first router and, after some enthusiastic cautioning from a friend, decided I should probably learn more about the tool and how to use it before getting started.

I don't have a woodworking shop, just a tiny bit of space in the garage. I also don't have a lot of $ for my new hobby.

I DO have a first routing project: routing a groove (you got it, I have no idea when it comes to the lingo) down the center of cedar 2x2's to build custom framed lattice panels. I'm doing it all with no instructions, so it's going to be slow going, but I can be patient.

Any advice regarding setting up and using the handheld router is welcome. If it means building some kind of guide on a table, I'm up for it. I won't be waiting for help to come to me. I will be reading everything I can find on the subject.

My first routing project is not my first woodworking project. I'm just expanding into power tools.

Hello everybody and thank you for your patience and kindness.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Welcome to the community Annie...

safety first!!

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Hi Annie, welcome to our little corner of the 'net.

And, you have the lingo correct... lengthwise, a slot is called a groove... across the board, it's called a dadoe. Really, it's still a slot in the wood. :)

A little more information from you... do you have an edge guide for your router? You need something to guide your router when you cut the groove. Cutting something like this and getting it straight without a guide is almost impossible. How deep is the groove? It's better to make several cuts, instead of trying to make the full depth in one cut. Easier on the router, easier on the bit. Easier on you as you won't have to dodge a broken bit. (Yes, it DOES happen!!)

·
Registered
366 Posts
I just bought my first router and, after some enthusiastic cautioning from a friend, decided I should probably learn more about the tool and how to use it before getting started.

I don't have a woodworking shop, just a tiny bit of space in the garage. I also don't have a lot of $ for my new hobby.

I DO have a first routing project: routing a groove (you got it, I have no idea when it comes to the lingo) down the center of cedar 2x2's to build custom framed lattice panels. I'm doing it all with no instructions, so it's going to be slow going, but I can be patient.

Any advice regarding setting up and using the handheld router is welcome. If it means building some kind of guide on a table, I'm up for it. I won't be waiting for help to come to me. I will be reading everything I can find on the subject.

My first routing project is not my first woodworking project. I'm just expanding into power tools.

Hi Annie,
Is that with or without a gun?
I get what your trying to do and you've picked a good project to start with. YouTube is a great source. Don't forget to start with a scrap.

Al

·
Premium Member
17,469 Posts
Welcome to the forum Annie, it's great to have you with us . I've only recently joined myself so I can't give you a lot of direction , but there's tons of great information here and these guys are eager to help .
I have come a long ways in the month that I've been here . Looking at your bio you seem like a very ambitious lady , and I would say you are going to flourish here .

·
Super Moderator
John
6,914 Posts

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
G'day Annie, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Welcome Annie.

The guide mentioned is a must. If taking much off, make a couple passes, rather than one. Cedar likes to splinter, and hogging too much out will burn your bits and dull them prematurely.

You could also set up the router in a table (contrived, like in a WorkMate, would work) and set two boards that just allow the boards to slip through, then run them through, rather than the router over them.

Many of us have router tables and they range from "toss it when your done" beasts to "my kids can't go to college because I bought another tool" (okay, maybe not that bad) quality. Regardless, a table seems to open all manner of new opportunities to work easier.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,867 Posts
Welcome to the forum Annie.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Hi, Annie; welcome!

How thick is your lattice material? If you're doing a diagonal pattern you'll need to accommodate your thickness x 2 as both layers will end up in your groove. If a square pattern, only one thickness gets locked in.
The reason I mention this is because if you do the sq, pattern, you might find it easier to cut a rebate*, then lock your lattice panels in with a separate strip after you've put it in place. The advantage is you can easily pull the lattice panels back out if they get damaged.

*Rebate...
http://www.britishhardwoods.co.uk/m...ernal-solid-oak-door-lining-rebate-base_1.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts

Hi Annie,
Make your own router table. All you have to do is mount your router under a sheet of MDF and make a fence that you attach with 2 G clamps. Do yourself a favor and go on a router course otherwise you will never get the full benefit of your purchase .It is the most versatile piece of equipment you have ever bought.
Regards
Andre

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I would use the table saw. Quicker, easier, safer.

·
Registered
786 Posts
welcome aboard.....enjoy

·
Premium Member
17,469 Posts
Annie after reading your bio , if I had half your energy I'd be a millionaire :)

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Hi, Annie.

Ladies are welcome to this forum. We would like to see pictures about your first router project... and the older ones too.

Enjoy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts