Router Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My name is Nancy and I have just signed up for this forum because I am hoping to get good advice and tips from everyone. I am not new to woodworking exactly, but I am new to woodworking with the ability to actually get some good tools. I had an addition put on my house 2 years ago and now have a real (albeit small) dedicated shop off my basement!! I have been sewing since I was 10 and I honestly believe the skill sets involved in sewing and woodworking are the same - which is why I enjoy both a lot. I also decorate cakes as a hobby. I guess I just like to create stuff with my hands!

So - here is my first question: I just purchased a router table from Rockler and my husband is going to get me a PC fixed/plunge router for Christmas. I am going back and forth between the fixed speed and the variable speed. Right now they are on sale on Amazon and only $20 difference, but I am not sure which to get? I am looking at the 690 series. Fixed and Plunge base combo. I plan to use it in my table as well as free hand for plunge work. I have an old craftsman my dad gave me (I think it might be nearly as old as I am!) which works great as long as I don't have to adjust the depth!! (not very easy or accurate) so I have it set up right now dedicated for 3/4 dado cuts. Any advice on the PC router?

Thanks!

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Nancy

Go the extra step and get the VS model you will be glad you did. it's like day and night when it comes to routers........

Amazon.com: Porter-Cable 895PK 12 Amp 2-1/4-Horsepower Fixed and Plunge Base: Home Improvement

==========
Hi. My name is Nancy and I have just signed up for this forum because I am hoping to get good advice and tips from everyone. I am not new to woodworking exactly, but I am new to woodworking with the ability to actually get some good tools. I had an addition put on my house 2 years ago and now have a real (albeit small) dedicated shop off my basement!! I have been sewing since I was 10 and I honestly believe the skill sets involved in sewing and woodworking are the same - which is why I enjoy both a lot. I also decorate cakes as a hobby. I guess I just like to create stuff with my hands!

So - here is my first question: I just purchased a router table from Rockler and my husband is going to get me a PC fixed/plunge router for Christmas. I am going back and forth between the fixed speed and the variable speed. Right now they are on sale on Amazon and only $20 difference, but I am not sure which to get? I am looking at the 690 series. Fixed and Plunge base combo. I plan to use it in my table as well as free hand for plunge work. I have an old craftsman my dad gave me (I think it might be nearly as old as I am!) which works great as long as I don't have to adjust the depth!! (not very easy or accurate) so I have it set up right now dedicated for 3/4 dado cuts. Any advice on the PC router?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Greetings Nancy and welcome to the router forum. Thank you for joining us, and remember to have fun, build well and above all be safe.

Go with the VS, you can always speed up a VS but you can't slow down a single speed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Greetings Nancy and welcome to the router forum. Thank you for joining us, and remember to have fun, build well and above all be safe.

Go with the VS, you can always speed up a VS but you can't slow down a single speed.

Glad to be here! Good point about speed - thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts