Router Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newb here. Glad I found you guys. Found this forum while looking for US made basic 1/4" shaft wood bits. The top rated bits from Bosch, Freud and shockingly even Whiteside seem to now be made in China. Anywhere but there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Born in Texas, raised in Northern California, upstate and Western NY, then SF, back in north bay area for now. crazy diverse work background (accounting, investment analysis, molecular biology research, "manny", FedEx Office (Kinko's) manager, solar sales, landscaping, remodel construction, San Quentin rehab program data support). Still figuring it out, coding/web development next up.

I really would like to use top quality American made router bits with my DeWalt cordless. Not finding any in Amazon. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Official Greeter
19,988 Posts
G'day @Clean n Organize , welcome to the forum.
Do you have first name we could address you by?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Newb here. Glad I found you guys. Found this forum while looking for US made basic 1/4" shaft wood bits. The top rated bits from Bosch, Freud and shockingly even Whiteside seem to now be made in China. Anywhere but there.
Bosch bits are made in Taiwan.....

·
Registered
210 Posts
Can you give me more information on whiteside manufacturing having router bits made in china?

I would assume a china built WM bit would be a knockoff.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Marco. I hold a clear distinction between Taiwan, a democracy, and China, a totalitarian enemy state.

I saw Bosch router sets made in China and assumed the individual bits were also Chinese. Looking at Taiwan made bits now...
Can you give me more information on whiteside manufacturing having router bits made in china?

I would assume a china built WM bit would be a knockoff.
Possibly knockoff sets have been sold on Amazon. I was looking at the Whiteside Router Bits 402 Basic Router Bit with 1/4-Inch Shank and saw a couple recent negative reviews suspecting Chinese manufacture. Screenshot attached for example. Also, most USA made products feature that fact in the product description. When I see no country of origin listed, I assume (sometimes incorrectly) it's because listing China kills sales.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Michael,
Welcome aboard.

I think you will find that Whiteside is USA company in North Carolina. I suspect all of their bits are made in the USA. i.e., Today, Whiteside Machine occupies a 40,000 sq. ft. manufacturing facility and produces a complete line of solid carbide and carbide tipped router bits.

I have many of their bits, all 1/2 inch stems, and all made in USA.

Good luck with your project.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts