Router Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So... have just bought my first router, have a project in mind for it, basically rabbetting (sp?) some edging for a built-in chest/storage in our bathroom - any tips welcome, is there a forum area for projects/assistance?

I could also do with any pointers for setting up my workshop (it's a blank slate at the moment!) and probably building a workbench eventually...

Outside of trying to do the house up at the moment, we're expecting our first child at the end of March (no pressure on the renovations...!!), and I generally enjoy being active outdoors; running, climbing, open water swimming etc.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,840 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Garuda.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Welcome...
but I do have one question..
do you know how to really use a router???
we have a passel of information in PDF's that help ya out...

Attachments

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,355 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You'll learn lots, laugh lots, and make some pretty kewl friends :happy:

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Welcome to the forum garuff. This forum has many subgroups which you'll find by clicking on the Routerforums.com logo. It's preferred you use the sub forum that fits the question you want to ask. The main reason for that is because posts are stored in those categories and it makes it easy to research what's been posted on the topic in the past.

·
Official Greeter
18,753 Posts
G'day, welcome to the forum....

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Welcome, the only things I would suggest is to make a strong work bench because without one you won't have much success in building anything. The second thing would be to build a router table. It doesn't have to be fancy but it should be long enough to support things that you would like to put an edge on. The third thing is to watch Craigslist if there is one in your neck of the woods and build your shop with quality tools.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmine
Welcome, the only things I would suggest is to make a strong work bench because without one you won't have much success in building anything. The second thing would be to build a router table. It doesn't have to be fancy but it should be long enough to support things that you would like to put an edge on. The third thing is to watch Craigslist if there is one in your neck of the woods and build your shop with quality tools.

+1. Below, there is a link to "router 101" by Steve ramsey, simple and useful project for your router. Any doubts feel free to ask because the people here are very friendly and competent. Good luck!
Sid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for such a warm welcome!

A router is not quite the first thing I've bought... Maybe the first foray into looking to go to the next level!

Since I've started being more hands on for DIY etc I've only just moved out of a flat, so the tool collection/workshop has been limited to a spare room previously.

Thanks for the links, will have good look and I'm sure you'll find me with some questions popping up soon :)

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
+1 what everyone else said there is a wealth of information here and it is free for asking. Also a bit humor from time to time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts