Router Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

Beginner wood worker here from Lancaster, PA. Starting to put together a small shop. I'm 34, married, father of a 7 and 8 year old. I've always enjoyed tools, building things, and just straight up tinkering. I watched a bunch of Steve Ramseys YouTube videos, Woodworking for Mere Mortals, and decided to get myself involved in a new hobby.

I've got same basic tools. Got a bargin on a lightly used table saw, the Craftsman 315.228490, a cousin of the better known 113. Circular saw, jig saw, random orbit sander, and a new Makita RT0701 compact router.

Next up is a full size router. Which brings me here.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Robbie.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,838 Posts
Hello and welcome to the router forum, Robbie

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
welcome Robbie...
what do you have in mind for a ''full sized'' router???

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
Welcome to the forum Robbie . This is a great forum with really friendly and helpful members . I hope you enjoy it here as much as I do :)

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
Welcome aboard.

Some of the folks here use the Bosch 1617. Others use a variety, so I guess it all depends on what you have in mind.

I have several routers and all get used in some form or fashion. Several years ago, I built an adjustable height work table and installed two routers in it. One is the Bosch and the other is a Triton 3 1/4hp. It can do the table mounted work such as making raised panel for cabinet doors with little effort.

These days, I have a flush trim bit mounted in one and a small round-over mounted in the other. Makes the work go faster. :grin:

I also have a DeWalt compact router similar to yours...and an old Craftsman.

In my opinion, the Triton is best suited for table use. It has its own built in lift so the hand crank can adjust the cutting height from above the table. However, like most routers, the lock still has to be operated from underneath the table.

Here is some info for you to consider in your search.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
Two, 1617s for general use, and a Triton TRA001 in the table. Both are great machines. Lancaster, PA is a woodworking kind of area. Was there a few years ago and enjoyed every minute. Nice people. We ate at an Amish cafeteria where my daughter was complimented for being plain (her makeup and lipstick were worn away). This is a great pasttime.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Hi Robbie. We will be glad to help.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,338 Posts
Welcome to the forum Robbie.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts