Router Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a fuse?

I haven't used my router in 20 years and this morning tried to route out some 2x4s. The first two went through fine, then hit a knot (I'm assuming) and the router died.

Help!

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,835 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
You need to give us a name of the router and model number.
They are all a little different

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Welcome KBC. I've never seen one with a fuse. Does the router have soft start or speed control? If there any capacitors in those circuits they may have failed. Apparently they do much better if charged up occasionally. It's also possible the brushes gave up. That's a much cheaper fix if you can find the parts.

Reactions: KBC

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
Welcome aboard.

Years (decades) ago, I was routing with my Craftsman router (1980's model). Suddenly it just went silent. I took it to Sears and the guy said it would cost more to fix it than to buy a new one. :surprise::frown:

So, I did.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's probably my solution, too, but I just wanted some input from someone with a more educated brain than mine.
Thank you.

·
Official Greeter
18,742 Posts
Welcome to the forum...

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Well some of the parts are still available, including an armature for only $30. Brushes and brush holders are still available too. I didn't see anything in the parts listing that was electronic so there might be hope for it. You need to diagnose what precisely is wrong with it. Since there are no electronics that narrows it down to switch or wires (as in a broken one), brushes, or armature. If you have to pay someone to fix it it probably isn't worth it though as that was a pretty cheap router to start with. RYOBI ROUTER Parts | Model re175 | Sears PartsDirect

Reactions: jj777746

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
Is there a fuse?

I haven't used my router in 20 years and this morning tried to route out some 2x4s. The first two went through fine, then hit a knot (I'm assuming) and the router died.

Help!

Thank you.
Did you check the breaker, meaning the house breaker ?

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Is there a fuse?

Help!

Thank you.
see if the brushes are at fault...

Attachments

Reactions: jj777746

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,327 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
Well some of the parts are still available, including an armature for only $30. Brushes and brush holders are still available too. I didn't see anything in the parts listing that was electronic so there might be hope for it. You need to diagnose what precisely is wrong with it. Since there are no electronics that narrows it down to switch or wires (as in a broken one), brushes, or armature. If you have to pay someone to fix it it probably isn't worth it though as that was a pretty cheap router to start with. RYOBI ROUTER Parts | Model re175 | Sears PartsDirect

Ah Ha! The vast and unpaid research department comes through again!

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
see if the brushes are at fault...

And again! :smile:

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I think Stick and I should stop until we get at least double what we are now. (What does 2 x zero = ?):laugh2:

Reactions: MT Stringer

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
zzzzzzaaaa ZOOOOOOMMMMMmmmm......

·
Registered
Theo
6,914 Posts
Welcome aboard.

Years (decades) ago, I was routing with my Craftsman router (1980's model). Suddenly it just went silent. I took it to Sears and the guy said it would cost more to fix it than to buy a new one. :surprise::frown:

So, I did.
Ah, you should have opened it up. I've got one of those old Craftsman routers that died. Opened it up, and turned out one of the wires was a tad shorter than it should be, and the solder at one end had given way. Problem solved.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Perhaps the attached circuit diagram will help troubleshoot it or at least take the sting out of a bad situation.

Attachments

Reactions: Wildwood
1 - 18 of 18 Posts