Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Hitachi M12V plunge router. I haven't used it for a couple of years because I've been busy. I tried to use it a couple of days ago, but it wouldn't start up. I cleaned it all up (again) and checked what I could. I'm guessing the slow-start electronics may be the problem, but really have no good ideas. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I have a Hitachi M12V plunge router. I haven't used it for a couple of years because I've been busy. I tried to use it a couple of days ago, but it wouldn't start up. I cleaned it all up (again) and checked what I could. I'm guessing the slow-start electronics may be the problem, but really have no good ideas. Any suggestions?
Hi Dann. Could possibly be the on/ off switch. Should check the brushes as well. Then yep, the softstart/speed control module would be next on my list to check, Don't know how comfortable you are with electronics, but the electrolytic caps on the pc board would be a good place to start. Otherwise probably just change the module. Kind of expensive ..

Controller Circuit 100V - 127V [301-819] - $110.48 at eReplacementParts.com

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Dann, did you try spinning the shaft by hand a couple times?

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
If it was working well when you last used it then the electronic parts should be okay. I would look towards brushes or corrosion on the switch contacts. Putting a jumper wire across the switch would eliminate that problem. You might try You tube for some ideas too. There are a lot of tutorials on there about problems like that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. Before I tried to start it, I cleaned it out with air. I checked the brushes, all look clean. I put in a bit and the shaft was spinning. Oh, and I had another machine plugged into the same socket. It was working. The switch is looking like a good candidate too. Thanks for the link to a new start controller circuit. I'll do some more checking, and take a good look at the switch.

Thanks again.

Dann

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
If it was working well when you last used it then the electronic parts should be okay.
Not really... capacitors are as likely or more so to dry out if not charged periodically. As an electronic tech for 35 years, I have seen many, many devices not work after years of storage. If they are near failing, even a few weeks(days even) of storage can do them in!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just tested the M12V with an ohmmeter. When the switch is moved to the on position, the meter gives a reading of approximately 100 ohms. I don't have any schematics for the controller, but perhaps someone can tell me if that means the switch is working and the controller isn't or vice-versa?

Thanks.

Dann

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Just tested the M12V with an ohmmeter. When the switch is moved to the on position, the meter gives a reading of approximately 100 ohms. I don't have any schematics for the controller, but perhaps someone can tell me if that means the switch is working and the controller isn't or vice-versa?

Thanks.

Dann
Are you measuring across the power cord plug? If so, that's probably about right.. you reading the resistance thru the Speed/softstart module. If this is the case, I would say the speed control is the most likely problem. Although an open field, armature, or brush could still be the issue.

If you are measuring across the switch itself.. you should see very near 0 ohms on the lowest ohm range your meter has. If this measures 100 Ohm, the switch is bad!

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Checking the resistance

Are you measuring across the power cord plug? If so, that's probably about right.. you reading the resistance thru the Speed/softstart module. If this is the case, I would say the speed control is the most likely problem. Although an open field, armature, or brush could still be the issue.

If you are measuring across the switch itself.. you should see very near 0 ohms on the lowest ohm range your meter has. If this measures 100 Ohm, the switch is bad!

Good luck!
Thanks for the response. I was checking across the power cord plug. I had the machine pulled apart, but couldn't reach into the switch. I agree that the controller is the most likely culprit.

Actually, the issue is moot now, because the Minister of Finance gave permission to buy a new one when I checked out how much it would cost to have the old one repaired here. I've ordered the Hitachi M12Ve and got it for about the same price as the repair would have cost.

Dann

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Congrats on the new router!! Now that you have it, and you have nothing to lose...pull the module on the old one and see if you can find the problem. I had a variable speed Delta planer that had the control module go bad, turned out to be one leg on one component that had to be re-soldered. In the process (i'm not an electronics guy!!) i broke a leg on a temperature switch. Was able to source it for $3 and replace. Good like new and i learned a lot. It did help that one of my clients owns a shop that rebuilds controller boards so i had "phone a friend" to help, but i only had to call him twice--once was to report back and say thanks!!

earl

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Thanks for the response. I was checking across the power cord plug. I had the machine pulled apart, but couldn't reach into the switch. I agree that the controller is the most likely culprit.

Actually, the issue is moot now, because the Minister of Finance gave permission to buy a new one when I checked out how much it would cost to have the old one repaired here. I've ordered the Hitachi M12Ve and got it for about the same price as the repair would have cost.

Dann
Good choice! 5 years warranty on that one. Been thinking of buying one myself!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I have exactly the same problem with my M12v, I aquirred another speed controller which I was assured was ok. I fitted it, and in anticipation turned her on. Result---- nothing, dead as a dodo. Checked brushes, lead and fuse. All ok, the controller has 3 wires coming out of it. Does anybody know how to test this please?
Many thanks Becks

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Hello, I have exactly the same problem with my M12v, I aquirred another speed controller which I was assured was ok. I fitted it, and in anticipation turned her on. Result---- nothing, dead as a dodo. Checked brushes, lead and fuse. All ok, the controller has 3 wires coming out of it. Does anybody know how to test this please?
Many thanks Becks
Well, you can bypass the speed control. If the router runs, the control is bad, period. If that is not something you are comfortable with, may be best to take it to a repair shop. If the controller has set for a couple of years, even though it may have been good then, doesn't mean it still is! Capacitors can and do dry out from lack of use. If you are comfortable with electronic repair, the caps would be where I would start.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the new router has arrived

A few days ago, I finally took delivery of the new M12Ve. It looks good. As soon as I could get to it, I put it in my table and adjusted on the jointing fence. Works great. The start is smooth and clean. Next project is to cut some dadoes and mortises in a set of bookshelves I'm building. Can't wait because using it is fun.

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
And it is a good value for the $194 price tag in the US.

Attachments

·
Registered
357 Posts
I just fixed my M12V - the power switch just need cleaning

My Hitachi M12V have been left unused for some time and yesterday wouldn't start.

I just removed the power switch cleaned off the dust and tested. It's a double pole double throw switch and only one side is working.
Opened up the switch cleaned contacts with a fiber glass brush and removed some hardened grease at the pivot. Reassembled and my M12V works like new.

Spares are still available in Australia at Tool Spare Parts
New switch cost AUD$50
New Variable speed controller cost AUD$125
(New Hitachi M12VE cost about AUD$525)

But I have just spent $0.

Hope this post will help some others.

Reactions: jj777746
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.