Router Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished and delivered holiday votive candle bases to a local candle shop for Christmas sales.
Made using premium MDF. Painted with Enamel colors. I'll probably switch to a lacquer finish for the next run.
Enamel takes too long to cure. I wasn't really pleased with the look of the finish even though the candle shop was happy.
They sold several pieces the day after delivery.
Originally tried using MDF LIGHT but it was extremely labor intensive to get the edges sealed to stop the finish from soaking in even after repeated applications of a sealer.
There are several other holiday designs I'm working with. I'll post them after I finish the prototyping.

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PHP:
Those are nifty and I see why the candle shop likes them. Being of 100 percent French ancestry, I'm particularly partial to anything that says Noel.
Thanks Tom, I also have a very small amount of French in me via French Canadian! Not sure if it is a good thing or not considering there is also Sicilian, Irish and German included. LOL

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
PHP:
Thanks Tom, I also have a very small amount of French in me via French Canadian! Not sure if it is a good thing or not considering there is also Sicilian, Irish and German included. LOL
:laugh2: :laugh2: Jim with all your ancestry you could start a war with your self.

PS- No I have not been drinking.

·
Registered
Rick
17,578 Posts
Nice job Jim . I have never had success with painting the sides of MDF . I’ve had to smear wood filler on the sides and then sand .
But in this case that’s near impossible.
Would be nice if a guy could spray some kind of sealer or clear lacquer to make life easier

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Using the premium MDF has made finishing the edges much easier to seal.
I have used both Sherwin Williams high solids lacquer sealer or PVA glue thinned with water wit good success .
Kiltz 123 primer under Rustoleum spray paint coats real well. I think lacquer spray would be faster and easier but the fire hazard makes me abstain.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.