Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so who has jumped on the home automation band wagon? I started with smart switches for the kitchen lights and a couple for livingroom lights not sure if I will go the distance with full out camera's and such. I will say it is nice to just ask Alexa for the lights. Wife has Alexa built into her vehicle so it is nice to just ask alexa to turn lights on as she is getting home when it is dark.

Attachments

·
Official Greeter
18,742 Posts
I am flat out streaming video from the PC to TV. I can always, I hope, turn the lights off or on.

Would be handy in your wifes case, though...

Reactions: roxanne562001

·
Registered
Steve
1,471 Posts
I've almost been tempted. Especially with my wife studying interior design. But I haven't yet taken any plunge. As an I.T. person, I'm a little wary of "connecting all the things!" in my house. Many manufacturers haven't put the security into their products and this exposes you to far too many infiltration measures. Makes me nervous.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
My son has all that stuff. Lights cameras and everything. It doesn't impress me. Just more for hackers to mess with. He is in the process of building a new house. I am sure the appliances will do everything for you too. It's just not for me.

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
I have been on the Home Assistant wagon for a couple of years. Ever since I discovered Dr Zzs youtube channel, and DigiblurDIY, and Rob (The Hookup). All good folks. I have HA running on an old laptop - Intel i5 w/ a 240gb SSD, and 16gb ram. It is installed via Proxmox. It just idles along. If we have a power outage, it never knows it because the battery is still good and stays charged.

My set up isn't very technical, but here goes....
All of the smart switches, sensors etc have been flashed with Tasmota. No cloud stuff at all. The 433mhz sensors and switches are sniffed by a rf box. Node Red detects and fires whatever automation is set up for it.

The sensors are usually a D1mini with a temperature and humidity sensor attached. I have a wireless rf433 window/door sensor mounted on the garage door. It is attached to a door hinge. When the door opens, the hinge drops down and send the signal that the door is open. Node Red will remind me if it is still open after ten minutes. All reminders and alerts are sent to my phone and computer via Pushbullet.

One of the best things is a sensor that sits near the water supply for each toilet and sink. If water is detected, it fires an automation to alert me.

The garage has four motion sensors in it. One on the door leading into the garage, and three more aimed at different areas. I don't want the lights to go off when I am at the table saw or CNC.

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
I will not put an Alexa or any other intrusive digital spy ware anywhere near my house!
Saying that, I do enjoy automation and a lot can be done without the spying eyes of G and A!
Besides, I'm not too old to get up and turn on a light switch yet

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Interesting thread but I remind you that anything that is relying on an internet connection is subject to fail from lack of service and then of course the always impending blast of high energy from major solar storms. History has shown us that already as such: On Sept. 2, 1859, an incredible storm of charged particles sent by the sun slammed into Earth's atmosphere, overpowered it, and caused havoc on the ground. Telegraph wires, the high-tech stuff of the time, suddenly shorted out in the United States and Europe, igniting widespread fires.

Then there's the fact that anything can be hacked. There's practical and then there's just plain lazy. And then there's not so smart never changing the preconfigured username and passwords of such devices.

Just another opinion.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Interesting thread but I remind you that anything that is relying on an internet connection is subject to fail from lack of service and then of course the always impending blast of high energy from major solar storms. History has shown us that already as such: On Sept. 2, 1859, an incredible storm of charged particles sent by the sun slammed into Earth's atmosphere, overpowered it, and caused havoc on the ground. Telegraph wires, the high-tech stuff of the time, suddenly shorted out in the United States and Europe, igniting widespread fires.

Then there's the fact that anything can be hacked. There's practical and then there's just plain lazy. And then there's not so smart never changing the preconfigured username and passwords of such devices.

Just another opinion.
I'm with you guys. I don't have any computer controlled automation in my house other than what is built in to some of the appliances. What I really hate is the unnecessary and poorly conceived automation in newer vehicles. I don't like having to correct all the settings on my heater for example which get changed automatically when you change the one setting that you actually want to change. Or the windows going all the way up when you just touch the up button.

The excessive number of buttons on the radio, how can you concentrate on the road ahead if you have to sort out which button to push among the 25 little black lumps on the dash board, and the digital center viewing touch screen?

I'm an old guy. I just want to control my own equipment, where practical, realizing that the engine computer, the anti-lock brake system, and air bags are probably good things. I'm not ready to even think about self driving cars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts