Router Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all:
I am new to this group & in need of some advice or suggestions. I have recently come across an old aluminium body fixed base 1 hp. Craftsman router along with an unfinished homemade router table. The table itself is very large [too large?] & measures out at 32" x 42". It is very well built & features an arborite top. I have also been given a large piece of 1/2" plexiglass for use in mounting the router.

My Questions:
Should I uses the supplied plexiglass material to make a router mount or splurge & purchase one instead?

Anyone have any very simple plans for a decent fence set up? I have several lenths of 2 1/2 inch aluminium angle iron. Could that be usefull? Should I buy a fence? I see they are fairly expensive.

Will the 1 hp. router have enough power to get me started? It's in excellent condition so I would like to make use of it if it's at all worthwhile.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Glenn.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
glennbaker said:
Hi all:
I am new to this group & in need of some advice or suggestions. I have recently come across an old aluminium body fixed base 1 hp. Craftsman router along with an unfinished homemade router table. The table itself is very large [too large?] & measures out at 32" x 42". It is very well built & features an arborite top. I have also been given a large piece of 1/2" plexiglass for use in mounting the router.

My Questions:
Should I uses the supplied plexiglass material to make a router mount or splurge & purchase one instead?

Anyone have any very simple plans for a decent fence set up? I have several lenths of 2 1/2 inch aluminium angle iron. Could that be usefull? Should I buy a fence? I see they are fairly expensive.

Will the 1 hp. router have enough power to get me started? It's in excellent condition so I would like to make use of it if it's at all worthwhile.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Glenn.

Hello Glenn, Welcome to the Forum :)

Here is what I have been checking out and either plan build a new router table or add to the one I have now. I have been looking at Oak Park Base Plates! especially the VacuPlate system for my router. Just have not decided yet what to do. I imagine some of the others will have some ideals for you too.

HTH

·
Retired Moderator
2,093 Posts
Welcome to the forum Glenn you can also get the fence and clamps from oak park I also got my base plate there it is 11" square. Money well spent I've bought a real nice and simple fence from there. All I have to do is clamp it down where I want to set it up at.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.