Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a quarter hp electric motor which I intent to power a homemade circular saw. The motor will drive an 8Inch blade at 5000rpm.
Is the motor strong enough for a table saw?

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Shahidan and Welcome

I would say the 1/4HP motor may be to small but what the heck give it a try can't hurt to try it. :)

===

I have a quarter hp electric motor which I intent to power a homemade circular saw. The motor will drive an 8Inch blade at 5000rpm.
Is the motor strong enough for a table saw?

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I would say it is too small too but you might be able to cut up to 3/4" okay at slow feed speed. A 3/4 HP at that blade size would work better.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
The shaper the blade the truer the fence the heavier you can cut. 1 hp has difficulty with a dull blade.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I would say minimum 1 hp preferably 2 hp.
I used a home made table saw for over a year. I just took the base of a cheap 1500 watt (2hp) circular saw and mounted it in a table. Used a t-square type fence with clamps. It actually worked pretty well but blade height was limiting.
I recently bought a contractor style saw which is only really slightly better than my home made one.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You will hate a 1/4 HP table saw. An old rule in auto racing and woodworking is "there is no substitute for horsepower". There are lots of cast iron table saws in the 8" + range that will make you happy for around $50, sometimes less. The rusty ones go cheap, and even ugly cast iron cleans nicely. I got a beautiful (now) Homecraft by Delta with a one horse motor for a club I belong to for $30. Listen to paduke, the blade means a lot.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I use an old craftsman TS with a Vega Fence and 60t blade. Yesterday I needed a slice of a 10/4 block of hard maple. I usually use a 40t blade but it was an 8" long block. The blade sliced right thru. Sharp blade and true fence. I used a dial gauge when I refurbished the saw. Its a expensive delta brand blade and I have it resharpened. The shapening costs are equal to buying cheap blades. The blade when sharpened professionally cut better than it did new.
I use the bosch TS on mobile work stand in the field. I buy box store blades for it. I am very experienced in the differences. For most woodworkers I would recommend buying a 40t expensive blade (buy the 60t also and use it while the 40t is sharpened)
Maybe bargain hunter tom can suggest best online source I buy them at contractor supply store when buying DW screws

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Homemade tablesaw.

Thank to all for responding to my question about the suitability of a 1/4 hp motor for powering a tablesaw.

Yes, I agree that the motor is too small. Maybe I would use the 1hp motor which is driving my disc sander. To tell the truth I am a bit scared of using a powerful motor to drive a table saw.

But the blade J have with me is a 7inch blade. The blade was bought new and I have not tried using it. Now the motor would be too big for the blade . I think I will redesign the table saw shaft using a bigger diameter steel rod. I am old fashioned and I think I would be safer using a bigger shaft.

If I had the extra cash I would of course prefer a secondhand saw .even one without the motor.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Stop!!!!

To tell the truth I am a bit scared of using a powerful motor to drive a table saw.
That raises a big red flag right there for me. If it scares you to do it, then it maybe best to not do it. There is a lot of variables to consider when doing a DIY table saw. However, if you fall short in any of these areas, you will create a machine that is incredibly dangerous to use. I know some guys have done it, and have done well, but they have the skill and experience to undertake something like this.

My recommendation is wait. Sounds like cash maybe limited, but I would much rather see you save a little here and there over time, and eventually buy a decent second hand table saw. PLEASE consider this as an option.

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
You mention the motor being too large for the blade. If you are going to make a saw I would definitely recommend making it belt-driven so you can vary the pulley size. I'm with the others though, IMO 1/4hp is too small to be practical unless you are limiting your cutting to plywood.

With that small of a motor, the smaller diameter and thickness of the blade, the better.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My friend, the idea of a table saw with a 1/4 hp motor makes me nervous. Apparently it has you concerned too. And others in this Forum. I would suggest waiting until you can aquire a real tablesaw of some kind. You appear to be a creative and thoughtful person. We would ALL feel very bad if you were to create a "home-made" device that caused you serious harm.
Wait.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi

I'm cheap I came up with my own for peanuts and one for the router as well.

====

Attachments

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Dan

Alum.right angle part,,,It drops into the Alum.quick bar and keeps the saw on track, I don't need to guide it or hold it down the norm, I have one that will snap in place on 4 x 8 plywood and shorter ones... .it cuts the plywood up very true and I don't need to recut it on the table saw the norm.

The one that's on the router is great for dado slots, quick and easy.
=======
Hey Bob; what function does the channel in the bottom of the wood base serve?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts