Router Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Theo
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ran across this. Couldn't figure the best place to post it, so it wound up here. Pretty neat, and could be especially handy if you're working somewhere with no power, like a cabin in the middle of Alaska.
https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/BqpOLVZFzps

Reactions: Danman1957

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Interesting. I agree, it would have a place under the right circumstances.

·
Premium Member
19,240 Posts
Interesting find. There are many places in the world where this would be useful. And I can see using similar methods to make a bicycle powered rotating tool would be very practical. Lots of places have no or unreliable power. I wonder if adding weight to the disk would smooth out the action. I can see a father and son somewhere making a living with this kind of human powered tool.

·
Registered
Theo
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For a lathe, you'd want something along the lines of a great wheel lathe. Then either have someone turning it, or treadle power.
Scroll down a bit.
https://www.jfberns.com/post/wood-lathe-history-more-non-electric-advancements

If you're going to be totally off-grid for awhile, or just too cheap to buy tools, there are a lot of old style non-electric 'power' tools you can make, and will work. Me, I've got some old hand-powered tools I got at very low prices - I could have made the equivalent, but really like old tools that still work, and I can get for low prices. I've got a very, very, nice Craftsman miter saw, that has been used very little, and is in fantastic condition. I don't collect tools for viewing tho, if I can't use it, I get rid of it. Got a nice hand grinder, 2 or 3 eggbeater drills, and a few more things. I do like their looks, but they are still working tools.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Saw a video of a man in India turning wood with a foot powered lathe. He was sitting on the ground while doing it. Don't think I have it but you might google it. New word for the dictionary!!

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Interesting find. There are many places in the world where this would be useful. And I can see using similar methods to make a bicycle powered rotating tool would be very practical. Lots of places have no or unreliable power. I wonder if adding weight to the disk would smooth out the action. I can see a father and son somewhere making a living with this kind of human powered tool.
We are making accelerated progress on this matter:shout:

·
Registered
Theo
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If he didn't have power then he wouldn't have had the power tools to make it. Hmmmmm

Herb
All depends on the definition of power tools.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,852 Posts
Just ran across this. Couldn't figure the best place to post it, so it wound up here. Pretty neat, and could be especially handy if you're working somewhere with no power, like a cabin in the middle of Alaska.
https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/BqpOLVZFzps
Necessity really is the mother of invention however, as the guy had power tools he would have achieved more accurate discs had he routed them.

Attachments

·
Registered
Theo
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Necessity really is the mother of invention however, as the guy had power tools he would have achieved more accurate discs had he routed them.
Yeah, he cheated. But if he took the time he should have been able to make it plenty accurate enough using hand tools only. After all, mankind did accurate work for many years using only hand tools. However, if he was going to move to some place without power, I couldn't blame him from making stuff with power tools, then taking them with him.

But if he was making a hand-power tool to show how people without power how to make one, then he should have not used power tools himself.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
I noticed that too Harry , the jig set up he had for making the discs was questionable. You show a superior set up.

Being pointed out in a previous post that hand drilling would have been an option if no power was available, is not something I feel an option. Hand drilling the sprocket would be a major chore. VOE, that is not your old cold rolled steel in the sprocket. The vidio had some good ideas, but If I was out in the boonies with no electrical power I would figure out how to rig up my chainsaw with a belt to run my tools..
Just saying,
Herb

1 - 12 of 12 Posts