Router Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everybody,

My name is Mike.everybody calls me big Mike. I am a geek by trade and an amateur woodworker by hobby. I just got into woodworking less than 10 years ago and so far it has been quite a bit of fun. I tried to be safe and careful and so far I still have all my fingers. For most of my life I got along much better with metal and motors and machinery than I did with would. Until a friend of mine who is a carpenter came along and showed me how to actually measure something I could not cut two pieces of wood the same length ever. For some reason it never dawned on me that it mattered from which side of the blade you were cutting from and I never considered the with of the blade. Once we figure that all out I have been able to build boxes that are square, cabinets that don't need shims, and things you can set on the floor that don't rock. None of those things were possible before my friend helped me. I have been buying tools piece at a time for quite a few years and I am sure that there are those of you who have more wrapped up in a table saw than I do in a whole shop. my goal is just to have fun, and finish the project completely before I am done with it. if we needed to talk about fixing computers I'm your man.

God bless and I hope there is a lot of people here that can help me learn more about what I'm doing.

– Big Mike

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mike. As far as computers go I think I am beyond help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum Mike. As far as computers go I think I am beyond help.
I have a very good friend who is a carpenter (I wouldn't call him a master but he is very good) he told me that "With a little caulk and a little paint, we can make it what it ain't". Needless to say I use a lot of putty filler, caulk and paint.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Welcome Mike. A project doesn't have to be complex to provide satisfaction. We all crawl before we walk. The "Sticky threads" at the top of each section of the forums are filled with great information. Reading these will save you a lot of time typing questions.

I started building computers with an 8088 processor and spent happy but expensive time on BBS's.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I have a very good friend who is a carpenter (I wouldn't call him a master but he is very good) he told me that "With a little caulk and a little paint, we can make it what it ain't". Needless to say I use a lot of putty filler, caulk and paint.
I would never make something that is not square myself:sarcastic:, but I have been forced to to try and fit something to someone else's less than perfect work from time to time. I have used all those methods plus setbacks and shadow lines to fool the human eye into believing that the job turned out better than it actually did.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts