Router Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Gecko540 control using Mach3. I want to use auto zero. I bought a cheap zero plate from Amazon (it came from China). The pictures show I connected one end to the 4th port (pin13 as per the Gecko documents). The other end is connected to the router. I changed the input configure in Mach3. The last picture is the router head (zero are and alligator clip). I tested this through diagnostic and I get no light flashing when contact is made. My script is correct be used the router head will move down to try to zero. Am I a complete moron? Half moron? And just confused? I've contacted both tech support at Artsoft and Gecko and they both say it's the problem isn't with them. Please HELP.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
On my machine, the wire from the controller goes to the zero plate and the router tip is grounded. That way the input to the controller is dragged down to ground potential when the router bit touches the plate. I do have a different setup than you but I suspect the same configuration would apply.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply I tried as you said and still nothing. I double and triple checked settings. I even tried to have Mach3 "Automated Setup of Inputs" and nothing.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have used that feature on G540 and Mach 3 just using a plate. First see if you get a response by flashing the #14 to ground when the Z axis is traveling. That will tell you if the software is working.

Next, try it with the clip directly on the router bit and then manually touch the zero plate to the router bit. I had a problem with the armature being somewhat insulated from the actual bit and not getting a good connection by just putting a clip on the router body. Like most everything some parts on the router are plastic also.

I'll check later today which terminals I have the zero circuit wired.

I stopped using it since much of my routing used 60 degree, 30 degree and 1/8" diameter bits. Coming down on the plate wasn't friendly to smaller diameter or pointed bits.

Steve.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What you said makes sense, but I couldn't get any response. I've looked at more you tube videos and they say something about a charged plate. What does this mean and can this be causing the problem?

·
Registered
442 Posts
In the pictures you show above the third picture shows a red wire screwed into a material. Is that material plastic?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is, but it's connected to the metal bridge above the router table. I've moved that to different metal areas on the table. I also used 2 jumper wires, 1 from hole 12 on the board which is ground (verified with Gecko who makes the controller). And the other wire in he 4 which is pin 13.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Are you using a Mach3 screen set that supports probing?

Examples, Mach3 Tool setter by Big Tex, Mach3 2010 screenset, or Calypso Ventures Mach STD Mill?

Also do you have a demo version of Mach3 or a Licensed version? Many import machines come with pirated Mach3 which does not always function.

Here is a link to some Mach3 probing tutorials I wrote. http://www.themakersguide.com/home/tutorials

Bill

·
Registered
349 Posts
The plate needs to be metal (conductive). The concept is that the tooling will touch the plate and complete the circuit. Pictures of mine show the zero stop leads (red wires, gray shrink tubing) are connected to ground and position #4 (input #4). I am using the 2010 screen set with its auto zero function, but believe it was wired the same before that for the Big Tex version on base Mach 3.

And yes, I am guilty of a jumper instead of an emergency stop switch hooked up. Four of them in a bag, but not providing much use.

Steve.

Attachments

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have been marketing an edge finder plate for years. They work well.

Bill

·
Registered
442 Posts
I make a product called the Triple Edge Finder. I won't go into a lot of detail here. But here is a Youtube video.

Bill

·
Registered
442 Posts
No Steve, It does X,Y,Z, corners (inside and outside), Edges and more. There are several other videos about it. Send me a PM if you want more links.

Bill

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I don't suppose you know/have how to hook it up to run on LinuxCNC, and have the code to use it (how to change LinuxCNC to see/use it) do you Bill?

4D

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Thanks, Bill.

The probe for Z routine on the first link may come in handy. Ironically I own a ruby-tipped probe that I could use with the linked info, but what I'm after is a way to add a button to LinuxCNC's screen to SET Z then have whatever bit I'm using run down until it touches a Z plate I already have and then set the new Z zero height (or offset above it).

I need both how to wire the Z plate to my Linux PC and how to add this routing to LinuxCNC. For as advanced as LinuxCNC is I'm finding very little documentation on exactly how to accomplish this.

Thanks again.
4D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts