Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does nayone use a horizontal router table. I have plans for one and thought I might build it, I'm perfectly happy with my normal router table. I was just wondering if there would be many adavantages to a horizontal version. Any comments/ advice would be appreciated.:unsure:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Wood-Chuck:

I have a sort of a horizontal router table. Well really its more of a slot mortising machine but it works as a horizontal router table when I need it. Quite simply I could not get along without it.
Do a Youtube search for horizontal router table and you'll find a few that show what you can do with one.

Cheers,
Jim

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Bruce

I have two of them and they have many adavantages over the standard router table, anytime you need to run the stock on it's edge the horizontal router table can and will do a better and safer job,molding,picture frame stock,panel for doors , Mortising & T jobs,etc. I will say if you make one ,keep it simple...

Here's just one post of many of them..
http://www.routerforums.com/project-plans-how/9782-best-both-worlds.html

=======

Does nayone use a horizontal router table. I have plans for one and thought I might build it, I'm perfectly happy with my normal router table. I was just wondering if there would be many adavantages to a horizontal version. Any comments/ advice would be appreciated.:unsure:

·
Registered
244 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you

Thanks for the useful information and links, I really like the idea of having vertical and horizontal units for the same table. Now to find the parts up here in the great white north :)

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
HI Bruce

Your Welcome

All you need is a base plate all the other parts can be made with wood :) you can skip the base plate if you want and just use some 3/8" thick plastic (or ploy.cutting board works well) for that job.. don't need to see the router motor just the bit :) don't use plywood,etc.to much flex, 3/8" min.thick stock..

========

Thanks for the useful information and links, I really like the idea of having vertical and horizontal units for the same table. Now to find the parts up here in the great white north :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again everyone for all of the help. All excellent ideas and valuable information. Great job on your blog eccentrictinkerer. Those are very clear instructions and should be easy to follow. Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been looking at the horizontal table from MCLS Woodworking. I am building a lot of picture frame molding and I think the horizontal table with a moulding bit would be the ticket.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would suggest finding a copy of THE ROUTER JOINERY WOLRKSHOP BY CAROL J. REEd.
Carol has designed a very good portable router table with the verticle and horizonal setup. she uses aluminun for the horizonal plate. there are great color photos showing how to build and a parts list. Also a good exploded veiw. you'll find it on pages 38,39,and 40. I built one and am very pleased. Pete

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is the one I'm building. Simple design, I believe it will get the job done with a minimum of extra work.

Table à toupie horizontale #4 Horizontal Router Table - Windows Live

Brico's blog is a wealth of information.

Atelier du Bricoleur / Woodworker's Workshop - Windows Live

Good luck!

J.D.
I built this one today. It took me about 2 hours and it was very easy. The only difficult part was that I had to guess on the measurements but I think I am close.

·
Registered
208 Posts
There are a lot of uses for a horizontal router table. I use mine for mortise & tenons, especially for sliding dovetails, jointing small pieces that you would never attempt on a regular jointer, raised panels using vertical bits without bearings, & on & on. Very efficient dust collection & best of all when not in use can be stored on a wall shelf outta the way in a small space challenged shop.

Lee

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.