Router Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rich Californians balk at limits: ?We?re not all equal when it comes to water? - The Washington Post
($800 a month?!!...Yikes)

Desalination.

"An Israeli company is now building a desalination plant near San Diego, to aid in California's historic drought.

It's been an "incredible game-changer," Gilron says. "What it means is that, even in a year where we don't get enough rain, that difference can be made up from desalination."
Israel Bringing Its Years Of Desalination Experience To California : Parallels : NPR

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
Dan we all know there differant laws for the rich . Look at that kid who was drunk and killed three of his friends and was given house arrest because his lawyer said he was to rich to know right from wrong , yet a black kid was in an alteracation with another kid when he punched him out the guy hit the curb and died . It was the same judge a week earlier and he got 25 years

Back to the water issue I had the same idea , take the salt water and put it threw a Desalination plant . I don't know how much you can produce that way and I would say out produce and fruit prices are going to go up a lot , but there snivelling about the seas rising so wouldn't that be a win win ?

It's either this or a large scale culling. I'm sure governments and the rich are secretly working on it :(

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
To be fair, most drivers that kill someone in an accident never see any jail. Lack of witnesses and a sense of "that could have been me" means that prosecutors usually don't push it.

Whereas, a death in a fight is easy to prosecute because " he could have always walked away".

·
Registered
366 Posts
I've been to countries that get all their water from desalination. After reading your post Dan I'm not exactly sure of the point your making.

Al

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Al; the original linked article about the residents of 'Rancho Entitlement' was what caught my attention. Holy Hanna!
No effort to come up with a solution (oops; bad pun), just that smug attitude 'Let the peons eat cake; I need my green lawn.'

The other links are to articles about folks that are addressing their water shortage problem.
I'm in the latter boat. I've been *****ing about our local elected politicians and their myopia. We have a huge over abundance of water in the Winter, but a real shortage of reservoir capacity. Sounds like a really simple solution, right?
But no, our locals are jamming new water meters down our throats at a cost of $1 mil +. That'd go a long way toward re-engineering our natural mountain dam/reservoir.
How charging more for water is supposed to create more of it is beyond me. (Like Rancho Entitlement, the local wealthy crowd could care less if their water bills go up.)

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
Guys what the heck do they do with all that salt once it's removed from the water ? I'm just assuming but I thought that would be the by product of doing this .
You'd think it would create a whole new issue , or give out free salt shakers to everyone lol

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Guys what the heck do they do with all that salt once it's removed from the water ? I'm just assuming but I thought that would be the by product of doing this .
You'd think it would create a whole new issue , or give out free salt shakers to everyone lol
Desalinization is VERY energy intensive. See a lot of it in Arabic countries that have more oil than water.

I think the rest of our nation forgets that California grows a majority of this countries food. It is not hard to understand why water is becoming a scarcer commodity. The Colorado River is down to a trickle. Water wells once measured in hundreds of feet, now are measured in several thousand.

It is only going to get worse. Lake Mead is in trouble too and California gets water from it, as well.

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
Desalinization is VERY energy intensive. See a lot of it in Arabic countries that have more oil than water.

I think the rest of our nation forgets that California grows a majority of this countries food. It is not hard to understand why water is becoming a scarcer commodity. The Colorado River is down to a trickle. Water wells once measured in hundreds of feet, now are measured in several thousand.

It is only going to get worse. Lake Mead is in trouble too and California gets water from it, as well.
Yes I'm aware of this , as I watched it on 60 minutes . I guess over 75% of the produce and fruit if from Cali so the ramifications of this are going to be life changing . I never thought of the power necessary to run those plants though :(

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Yes I'm aware of this , as I watched it on 60 minutes . I guess over 75% of the produce and fruit if from Cali so the ramifications of this are going to be life changing . I never thought of the power necessary to run those plants though :(
The only bright side to all this is that food prices will reach a point where "buying local" will be cost effective and California will no longer be the sole food producer. Should bring the "family farm" back to a profitable solution.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Speaking on "different law" for the rich and powerful; how about Dick Cheney? He shot his millionaire friend in the face, then, said victim publicly apologizes for getting his face in the way of Dick's SG. To be fair to dick, the man does sort of have birdlike features and back then was a Democrat, so maybe they weren't "Really" friends, but they were in Texas.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
All desalination processes produce dangerous by-products, such as concentrated brine that pose environmental hazards to fresh water and animals.....

there are several techniques used for the desalinating water in large quantities as in forward osmosis, carbon nanotubes, and biometrics. Evaporation desalination is still the most commonly used....

and you can start your own Bonneville Salt Flats from the by-product, salt and brine...

Salt Flats Research

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
[

and you can start your own Bonneville Salt Flats from the by-product, salt and brine...

Salt Flats Research
Didn't it say that they returned the "brine" to where it came from, the sea?
Herb[/QUOTE]

won't that usurp the salinity levels????

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Brad; unfortunately Agribusiness has made the 'Family farm' uneconomical...ie, they can't compete. The one area that seems to be doing OK is the greenhouse farming sector. Their one big disadvantage in colder Winter areas is the cost of heating them.

Rick; re the high energy requirements: that's why decommissioning and/or not building new Nuclear (Thorium salt) reactors makes no sense at all. The Thorium reactor designs can be very compact, with almost no hazardous waste products. The really good news is that Thorium is really inexpensive...it's a byproduct of the Rare Earth mining process. Guess what? We have some large Rare Earth deposits here in Canada! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts