Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of storms here lately & a huge gum tree was blasted into match sticks just two hundred yards from my house. The lightning flash & the bang almost in the same instant.We have had the hottest year on record but these storms (& rain) will cool things down I hope.
Anyhow,I can remember days & nights just as hot when I was young & I'll bet most people on the Forum can too.All the best Jamesjj

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Lightning is not good on electronics. Several years ago the neighbour that lived behind me took a lightening strike in his tree. The telephone lines were buried close to the tree. It took out the modem in his computer (dial-up days). There was a 2mm size hole in the modem's chip where it jumped from the modem to the the chassis. Since that was a main telephone line it, took out my fax. We were without phones for three days while they replaced the burnt sections. It also wiped out my indoor/outdoor thermometer. No burn mark on the outdoor probe so assumed it was EMP from the strike (20m away).

It took off several large limbs and there was a foot wide barking the length of the tree. I have a habit of unplugging all electronic equipment when there are nearby strikes. TV and antenna included.

·
Registered
Paul
1,861 Posts
That sounds a little too close, James. There was a bad storm in my area several years ago. It took out several old trees with the winds. That old street still had the hydro on poles, so many people went without electricity until it was patched up. Did a number on a guy's trailer up the street.

I'm not familiar with gum trees. Is their wood useful from a woodworking point of view?

Attachments

·
Registered
419 Posts
Happy you are getting some rain James wet season up here and no rain at all. Strange weather, usual east to south east winds that normally bring the wet all we are getting is the 33/34 degrees and high humidity. Has been 2 to 3 degrees over the average now for the last 4 weeks)

Reactions: old55 and jj777746

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sounds a little too close, James. There was a bad storm in my area several years ago. It took out several old trees with the winds. That old street still had the hydro on poles, so many people went without electricity until it was patched up. Did a number on a guy's trailer up the street.

I'm not familiar with gum trees. Is their wood useful from a woodworking point of view?
@ TenGees,Hi Paul,in reference to Gum Trees, this is really a nickname for most of our eucalypts & are all hardwoods which were used for building houses,sheds,fence posts & rails etc.in the past but furniture makers have found a few of these exhibit beautiful close grained patterns & are using them more often now. I forgot to mention railroad sleepers (ties)were all made from our eucalypts such as Iron Bark,Grey Box,Stringy Bark,Blue Gum,to name a few.Jamesjj

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Happy you are getting some rain James wet season up here and no rain at all. Strange weather, usual east to south east winds that normally bring the wet all we are getting is the 33/34 degrees and high humidity. Has been 2 to 3 degrees over the average now for the last 4 weeks)
@ pal,Hi Harold, just checked my electronic rain gauge.105.8 mils in the past 24 hours which is the most we've had for ages & it's still pouring.Jamesjj

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hi James, Hope you ducked the worst of yesterdays (07/02) storm that had to be a real doozey.
I hear Sydney is still getting plenty of rain today too

Harold

·
Registered
419 Posts
Photo from yesterdays storm in Sydney.
Harold

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,852 Posts
Harold, according to our news bulletins that house was riddled with white ants.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,338 Posts
No wet season for us as yet just hot, sticky, and muggy.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I suspected it would be Harry the way it had collapsed still a lot of heavy rain to cause it though. Tom white ants are what we call Termites although I suspect you already know that. LOL
Harold

Reactions: jj777746

·
Official Greeter
18,750 Posts
Forecast for next 3 days.....42°C, 44°C 35°C....

Plan to go camping next week, so hope it cools down...

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Forecast for the next three days SNOW. Hiroshima had 1.2m of snow today from 6AM to 6PM:surprise:

·
Premium Member
14,852 Posts
Here in Western Australia we had the hottest January ever, and now, still in summer, we had the coldest February day an record and last night the highest rainfall for February. One day the air-conditioner on to keep us cool and the next day to keep us warm!

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,338 Posts
Forecast for next 3 days.....42°C, 44°C 35°C....

Plan to go camping next week, so hope it cools down...
It might James but I wouldn't count on it. We are up for 36, 36, 42 and not looking forward to it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts