Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just completed another house sign for a customer, and attach some pics of the WIP and the final sign, which is about 500 mm wide (about 20")

The main wood is a locally indigenous wood, called Witels (pronounced "vit else"). Although it translates as White Alder, it is not related to the Alders of the Northern hemisphere. The letters were scroll-sawed in Cottonwood, on a Hegner, and the rounding was done on a "knocked up" table with an inverted Dremel Trio fitted with a very small round-over bit. The font used is Maiandra GD

The name Matanja evidently has a Biblical origin, (possibly Hebrew) and is usually a girls name, common in the Netherlands. The sign will attach to a beautiful log home high above the sea.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
16,386 Posts
That turned out really nice Rob. That'll look sharp on a log house.

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,258 Posts
A very nice sign, Rob, and a clever way of making sure the letter spacing was correct.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Pretty wood Rob, almost like your avatar. Beautiful work, thanks for sharing.

What's a dremel trio?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Bob - the wood isn't stained, it just has this lovely honey colour when a finish is applied. The finish is a clear outdoor sealer - Rystix.
I have found quite a few uses for the Dremel Trio, since I bought it specifically to complete a large house sign I made a while back - here is a link to the thread I posted at the time -

http://www.routerforums.com/show-n-tell/41800-commissioned-house-name-sign.html

not sure if the pic is still there, but here it is anyway, with a pic of the forest layer being cut with the Trio.

Attachments

·
Registered
Rick
17,594 Posts
Wow yet another beautiful sign . I've never seen anything like it Rob , you've got a great imagination and talent . How many hours labour did the last one take if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rick, it went together over a period of about a month after getting the commission, but the actual woodworking time would be about 12 to 15 hours - a lot of time went into R&D, and sourcing suitable material - there was also a lot of luck involved - i.e. the yellowwood background had this lovely sky effect, and a happily placed knot gave the mountain peak a nice contour.

Allen, I certainly didn't drill holes in it - It had 2 self made heavy duty Aluminium keyhole brackets attached at the back, with bolts in the wall. It is under shelter in the entrance foyer of the house.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have just completed another house sign for a customer, and attach some pics of the WIP and the final sign, which is about 500 mm wide (about 20")

The main wood is a locally indigenous wood, called Witels (pronounced "vit else"). Although it translates as White Alder, it is not related to the Alders of the Northern hemisphere. The letters were scroll-sawed in Cottonwood, on a Hegner, and the rounding was done on a "knocked up" table with an inverted Dremel Trio fitted with a very small round-over bit. The font used is Maiandra GD

The name Matanja evidently has a Biblical origin, (possibly Hebrew) and is usually a girls name, common in the Netherlands. The sign will attach to a beautiful log home high above the sea.
Baie wonderlike werk - I'm a fellow South African but I'm afraid this is the extent of my afrikaans.

I don't know where you are based in SA but I'd be interested in knowing your timber supplier if in jhb.

Again Excellent work

Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
430 Posts
Very nice.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.