Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Administrator
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Art Screen-printing Printmaking

Safety must be a top priority for any woodworking shop. Recent studies have linked sawdust and debris from workshop power tools as fire, tripping and health hazards. Dry, fine wood shavings can spread across a workshop floor and become incredibly slippery to walk on. If the shavings are airborne and a spark ignites, a fire can quickly spread throughout the shop. Breathing in the dust from machines has also been identified as a risk factor for throat and lung cancers. Taking the time to install dust-collecting solutions will make your work safer and more enjoyable. Choosing a Dust Collector for Your Shop
How did YOU choose a dust collector for your shop?

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
Because I got sawdust on me otherwise.

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,201 Posts
Budget and space were the two biggest factors. I usually choose on quality and frequently go with name brand but with limited space and really only needing to run a DC on one machine at a time I just couldn't justify a $2,000 Oneida or Laguna or Clear Vue or whatever. I've read so many times that the 2HP Harbor Freight is one of the few hidden nuggets they offer so I bought that. It has been more than adequate. The standard 5 micron bag is horrible, though, so I changed it out for a Wynn 0.5 micron filter and it is far better.

I keep one hose and line dedicated to the CNC and one 20' hose to move to the table saw, jointer, large bandsaw, drum sander, and planer. Even if I had budget and space for a larger unit I don't know that I would gain anything. There is virtually no airborne dust in the shop because I'm catching it at the source.

David

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Cost then size narrowed the hunt for a DC. Settled on the 2hp HF but do to electrical issues returned it for the HF 1hp. Pleased with DC and Rockler"s Dust Right hoses and fittings tho Rockler is very proud of the Dust Right brand.

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,960 Posts
Original shop was restricted to size, so shop vacs and small ambient cleaner.

Current shop was able to have a bigger collector, but price was limiting.

As funds became available and I hated moving the hose from tool to tool, I dedicated shop vacs to smaller tools around the shop.

Now I am back to the dust collector for most tools because it lives outside and is much quieter.

I am almost afraid to move, I will have to start all over again.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I didn't choose a DC ,I saw an ad on another forum for a 2 HP unit going cheap & bought it. When this stupid hot weather disappears I will install a 4 inch pipe along the wall behind the most dusty machines & connect a length of hose to each. I don't like the top bag which is supposed to catch all the really fine dust & would appreciate an alternative recommendation,please. Jamesjj

·
Administrator
4,201 Posts
I didn't choose a DC ,I saw an ad on another forum for a 2 HP unit going cheap & bought it. When this stupid hot weather disappears I will install a 4 inch pipe along the wall behind the most dusty machines & connect a length of hose to each. I don't like the top bag which is supposed to catch all the really fine dust & would appreciate an alternative recommendation,please. Jamesjj
I got the Wynn filter, James, and it's much, much better than the bag. You do have to clean it often but that's accomplished by blowing air from the outside and only takes a few minutes. I also spent the extra $20 to get the one with the removable cap. They intended that to be for stacking units but I picked it so that I can take the cap off to clean it better from time to time and don't have to remove the filter completely. Wynn woodworking filters

David

·
Registered
966 Posts
I made a common mistake by buying the least expensive I could find at the time. I bought a 1HP King DC and it has served me well for several years (10+) but at 1HP it is not powerful enough to use a run of piping with blast gates, so I switch it from machine to machine and live with my mistake. I did set up a round Rubbermaid garbage can with a sealed lid and a 4'' elbow that serves well as a type of cyclone and it works. If I lived in the USA, I would buy a 2HP Harbour Freight in a flash.

Reactions: jj777746

·
Administrator
4,201 Posts
I didn't check for more affordable, Dan, I just wanted better filtration. Yes, the filter cost more than the DC by about $40 - LOL! But, the air is clean in the shop, there's no dust on anything, and I don't even think about it now. I just turn it on and it works. If I ever replace the HF unit I'll keep the filter for the next DC.

David

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I bought the smaller Delta (maybe 1 HP?) many years ago, recently upgraded with the Wynn filter and a home-made separator (using Rockler fittings) - don't think that HF was around 30 years ago, but bought the DC as part of the saw, fence, mobile base and DC package from a local supply house. It sits kind of in the middle of the shop and I move the hose from machine to machine as needed - I have the old Rockler QD fittings on the TS and router table, sure wish they still made them as the new ones don't fit nearly as well. Only need a short hose when it's hooked up to the saw, have a longer hose when I need to stretch over to the router table or miter saw - I get aggravated with the sloppy fit on the new Rockler fittings, and have considered taking them off and just using a hose clamp.

I have a "vintage" shop vac with Rockler separator that I use for the smaller machines and hand-held tools - it's old and tired and I've replaced it with a Festool/Dust deputy which I haven't managed to get out of the box yet.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Started with an old Sears shop vac that obviously didn't cut it. Added a Delta DC system followed by ceiling mounted JET filter and have updated the Delta with the Wynn NANO. As David and others have noted, the addition of the Wynn was a major factor in cleaning the air. The JET has its merits but wasn't quite effective enough.

This has been a progressive upgrade path with the NANO being added just this year along with a new Ridgid shop vac with a HEPA filter for smaller tools.

I can definitely tell the difference as can the occasional visitor.

·
Administrator
4,201 Posts
What I'm doing is working, easy to tell due to the lack of dust on everything, but not long ago some of our neighbors came over to see the shop. When they walked in she said, "It's so clean!" I've had people ask if I actually cut wood in the shop because they don't see much evidence except that there are projects in the works. I like hearing those comments.

David

·
Registered
32 Posts
I went with the Delta 50-760 for my basement turning area and it has worked out well.
I recently got the 2 hp HF with the intention of having fun with some of the many mods that are popular with it. I added the Wynn filter (at the very least replace the bag with the Powertec one, $30) and converted it to a 2 stage system by adding the Super Dust Deputy, although I considered making a Thien baffle. I still need to connect everything up and add a removeable base under the trash can to bring it up to the SDD. I initially planned to make a longer base and incorporate the support rods that came with the HF to support the Wynn filter but ended up making a bracket to support it, so I will remove the rods. Should make it a little easier to get the plastic bag on and off. I may eventually replace the impeller with the larger Rikon. Need to clean the shop before I can do much more.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.