Router Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
Hi Denise and welcome to the forums. What purpose are you going to use the band saw for? This will make a difference in the recommendations you get from the folks here.

·
Official Greeter
19,737 Posts
Hi Denise,

Welcome to the forum.

As I am a long long way away, I cannot help you with a particular model, but I would be guided by BobN's advice.

Different horses for different courses........

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Greetings Denise and welcome to the router forum. Thank you for joining us, and remember to have fun, build well and above all be safe.

If you can be patient you can pick up a good one off Craig's list or other such sites' I picked up this one a few months back, only scratch is the one I put on it loading it or unloading it. With wheels total cost new is 660.00, (Amazon price not list price) with wheels, I paid 250.00. I can get a riser for less than 100.00. It has a 1hp motor I could up that to a 1.5hp and still be ahead. These are not found every day but they are out there. BTW this is a older Jet as color indicates, but was never uses. Original owner got cancer after buying it .

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have owned a Grizzly G0555X 14" bandsaw for 3years and I am very happy with it. I also purchased the 6" riser kit which will allow cuts up to 12" thickness. This is a good option if you need to re-saw wood into thinner sizes. Grizzly has a wide range of Bandsaws, it would be advisable for you to google their website. You can also look at Jet or Ripon bandsaws.

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Welcome Denise. I have the Grizzly G0555X now for 3 yrs and it is a excellent all around bandsaw for hobbiest. With the 6" riser I think it is about one of the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Denise, I too have a Grizzly G0555X, and will echo what Bernie has written. I use it for resawing and decorative cutting. The 6" riser allows you to resaw thicker logs, Well worth the additional cost. This is a heavy duty machine with plenty of power. I did my homework before I purchased it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You describe yourself as a hobbyist, so I recommend a name brand off Craigs list for starters. That may be all you ever need. I bought a decrepit Craftsman that does ok in a pinch, but I recently upgraded to a Rikon deluxe (13" vertical capacity built in!) on sale at my local Woodcraft store for a bit more than $750. The sale may still run into the end of January. Get this one and never look back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.