Router Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
undefined[/FONT
I've had some experience with power tools around the house and started watching the Router Workshop.I bought the router&table and then they took the show off the local TV. I fully admit that I am scared to death of the power of this tool; Bob&rick make it look so easy. I need some videos or sumpthing :'( As a chick, I know I don't have the strength that guys have, so I need to make sure I do things safely and don't get overconfident and rip my hands off (I'm an artist&musician too-ouch).

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi aksidentprone

The shakes,,, That's good in a way, you may say why, it's shows that you know the power of the router, I also get them if a move a small part over a bit that's turning at 18,000 rpm. I always use a push stick or a push block that helps a bit, I see some that run their hand over the bit and I must turn my head when they do that.

If a bit works free it's coming out the top of the wood and I have had it done on my router table.
What I do is run the pass in my head b/4 I do it,I run a check list in my head b/4 I turn the router on,that's say no parts on the top,no tools,fence is set and locked,bit is set and LOCKED, power is off,guards are set,push sticks are right next to me,the wood is set to run the right way, the grain of the wood is right,ear plugs are in,I know where my 1st.aid kit is and what I would do just in case, etc.

We all get the shakes and if you find someone that's can say they don't well hummm.
Just take it slow and easy and don't get overconfident and it will become easy but it takes time.

I should note ***I always get the shakes when I make munt-ins and mullion's for glass panel doors ,they are only 1" and 1 1/4" wide the norn and need to done on two sides,with a rabbit, I use a JIG to make this type of cut but it always makes me shake a bit. :) BUT the jig takes most of the fear out of the cut.
But it's still a bit harry :)

Bj :)

·
Registered
533 Posts
aksidentprone, if you have the shakes which is a good thing as Master grizzly Bj has stated, you could invest in a inexpensive trim router which is very light and much smaller and practice with that untill you feel confidence enough to move to a full size router. you can always use a trim router any way and by doing that you will shake off the shakes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts